Thread: File Permissions

How to manage files permission in Windows

Hi,
    In windows XP once a file or folder is encrypted, the file operates the same way as any other file or folder. The encryption process is transparent to the user who encrypted the file. In other words there is no need to decrypt the encrypted file before you can use. It is possible open and modify the file as you normally would. I need some help here is managing file permission n Windows XP to protect some of my data from getting deleted.

Re: How to manage files permission in Windows

You can assign file permissions to folders where a user will receive an access denied message when trying to open, copy, move or rename your file or folder encryption. To encrypt or decrypt a folder or file, you must set the encryption property for folders and files just as you would define any other attribute, such as read-only, compressed, or hidden. If you encrypt a folder, all files and sub folders created in the encrypted folder are automatically encrypted. It is recommended to perform the encryption at the file level.

It is easy to encrypt a folder. Use encryption to protect your documents against intruders who might obtain unauthorized physical access to your confidential data stored. For this Right click on the file or folder and then properties. In general click Advanced and then then check the box encrypt contents to secure data. If you selected a folder, a window will ask if you want to apply encryption to all sub-folders.

Compressing files saves space on the disk, since the files are compressed. However, when accessing these files, you have to decompress, you lose in performance. It is advisable to compress files that you use infrequently. Do not compress the programs and files are already compressed (mp3, zip, rar, avi divx) because they are already compressed.

This can be interesting, because you can manage, other shared folders from a remote computer by right clicking on Computer Management at the top and selecting a computer on your network. You must obviously have the rights. To open a shared folder, double-click the desktop and then double-click on My Network Places > Entire Network > Microsoft Network. By double-clicking on one of the computers on your network, you can view its shared folders. You can also more easily enter the UNC (Universal Naming Convention) in the address bar of the workstation, the UNC is the address of the shared folder, it is of the form \ \ servername \ sharename \ path \ filename.

By default in Windows XP, access to the license management is disabled, to enable it you have open the workstation and then click the Tools menu and then Folder Options. Then click the View tab and at the bottom of the list, uncheck Use simple file sharing. To assign permissions, right click properties on the files / folders, then go into the securities tab. At the top, you can view the list of users or groups have access to that file or folder.

By default in Windows XP, access to the license management is disabled, to enable it you will have to enter the Tool Menu > Option and then click on View. In the end choose simple sharing. To assign permissions, right click properties on the files / folders, then go into the securities tab. Clicking on the user or group, you can see in the bottom of the window, the permissions it has. It'll just modify the permit by checking the boxes as the permissions you want to assign to the user / group.

techpeddu Guest

How to Change File Permissions
    Click the Start button and open the Windows Explorer. Locate the folder for which you want to set File Permissions.
    Right-click the folder and then select Properties. Select the Security tab and highlight the user that you wish to set limits on.
    Click on the Advanced tab under Permissions for that particular user. This is located near the lower right corner.
    Select the user once again and click Edit.
    Select a level of access: Full Control, Modify, Read and Execute, Read, or Write.

Quick Tip
    Most of the folders that you wish to freely share should be placed in the Public Shared Folders directory, which can be located using Windows Explorer. The files on your Public Folders directory can be freely accessed by anyone on the network.

Peddu
    Hostcat.com

File Permissions

Hi

I am trying to organise a folder structure for the organisation i work for.
    It has 6 folders which i need to set various access permissions to.

So far it is straight forward enough giving various people red or access rights.

The one I am having trouble with is this:
    I want a folder where staff can view the folder containing photos, film, audio etc and copy files needed it to their computer. But I want to restrict the ability to move the files to a new location, delete or edit the file

Is this possible or I am dreaming!

Thanks