Thread: Save As option missing in iWork on Mac OS X Lion

Save As option missing in iWork on Mac OS X Lion

I am using iWork to create invoices at my office. Recently I have noticed that there is no Save As option is available for Mac OS X Lion version of pages. It seems to be really frustrating as its not having this particular feature. are you aware of any work around which will allow me to get back this particular option? Will developers would fix this particular thing in the future update? If they are not going to do this particular thing then I am going to use Microsoft excel worksheet. Let me know if you are having any useful comments in this particular matter. Thanks a lot in advance.

Re: Save As option missing in iWork on Mac OS X Lion

According to me its most silly changes has been done by Apple. Save As command was existing from last 20 years. There are millions of people who had learned to use the same. so I am not able to get why Apple has decided this particular option. It has been totally different thing done by them. there is nothing wrong happened with Lion. You can execute the command and you will be on same document. Duplicate command was working fine on Photoshop so you should have couple of identical docs. If you consider word processing environment it supposed to be sensible then you will use BBEdit in order to compare text into several documents. Right now in the pages the alternative for Save as would result into close to one which you have duplicated and you will perform another steps. Now you have to name it and rather than that of copy. This particular changes cannot be avoided. If someone is having something different to say then let me know about the same.

In this particular changes which has been done by Apple seems to be coherent. Apple is free to make any kind of changes as well as drop changes on their products. If I am not wrong they are trying to updated with the new features introduced by Lion. They can be done by making use of xcode other people would make use of TextEdit and other software. If I am not wrong they have tried to explain the logic number of times but you were not able to understand the entire thing. I think you ready to switch Microsoft products.

Well I do agree the save as thing is bit confusing for me. I found that keyboard shortcut which was used for Save was same that of old version of Save command. So if you are used of save when you are working at regular interval then it will not make any negative effect while working. Another thing which I have noticed that when I tried to revert previously saved file and I was looking to discard the work which I have done then I got Time Machine kind of interface on the screen. It was limited for the document which I have opened. Hence I concluded that there was auto save of document was happening.
    As far as Lion is concerned I was having issue with working of Launchpad with the first generation of Lion. It was getting slow down if you are looking to use arrow keys from the keyboard or while clicking at top or bottom of scroll bars by using the same. also I have noticed that swiping of Magic Mouse seems to be really frustrating.

The removal of save as seems to be most stupid changes ever I have seen. However this is not the only one change don by Apple. There are many such changes which are making the usage of software developed by Apple is bit difficult. I really wanted that someone from Apple would come here and have a look on the thing which we are talking about. According to me Apple Software’s are bit awkward and difficult as compared to Microsoft products. Due to such stupid changes all the users are remaining dissatisfied and we even don’t like the changes. Now we have to do multiple steps to do simple Save as. I am having different version and I have to find out same through Time Machine which I wanted to revert. Also same thing is happening with ‘This document is locked because you haven't worked on it in some time, are you sure you want to save these changes’ message box. If I don’t wanted save the changes made then why should I press command-s. I think Apple people are not interested to listen us. They have made the changes which cannot be defended by all the users.

I am over here because I am having really hard time with Save as thing. we know that one will be able to save as option to save the file under of the save file format. However the name would get changed. In this situation of mine I tilted my document as invoices and I have sent the same to clients of mine but there got the issue. there should be an efficient way to keep all the electronic files so that you can save the same by using invoice and date in the title. But I cannot do the same until and unless I am not entering into the loop. I need to start with every template from the scratch.
    So I am sure about the thing that all the users are having same kind of feelings. It was really easy thing to do when I was having save as option. So I am hoping that Apple would look on the same and take the necessary changes as early as possible.

Well the idea of versions is taken from file system as well as managed storage. If you are having device which has been powered by Newton OS there will not be any file system. So there is no need to have Save As.. option. I let you know iOS is using the same kind of concept in order to managed all the documents into the applications. You will be able to open the document from the list provided and efit it. there is no need of closing. You will simply close the documents when you are supposed to close the app or you are going to open any other document. So there is need of saving. The document would remain same as you have left them.
    However in Mac OS X Lion all the documents are concerned as an atomic objects. So instead of something is about memory it has been stored on the disk itself. Mac applications are working likely to be working as iOS. You are opening the documents as an object and editing it. there is no need of closing and saving.

Well no saving means everything supposed to be save without prompting I mean would be done automatically. You will be able to track the list of automatically saved changes and if you will be able to undo or revert if you wanted to go back to previous state. In simple terms it would have versions of the documents of yours. the document should be named at the time of creations. However systems should not allow to create anonymous or you can say memory-only document which we are supposed to create in Mac. You will be able to change the name of the document after creating. By default name would be untitled. It is responsibility of the app to create a document name.
    If you are talking about saving as a new name concept on Lion then it supposed to be totally different. In past day documents in the system memory and documents on the hard disk seems to be two different things. Documents on the disk are supposed to be copies of documents on the memory at any given moment of the time. There is no relation between documents in the memory and documents stored on the hard disk.

Now documents on Lion as well as iOS are returned to Lisa, OpenDoc and Newton OS. That is documents in the memory is having an association with documents stored on the hard disk. If you wanted to male something like Save As... then you will need to create a copy of the documents. So the Duplicate command of Lion is coming in the picture. If you wanted to save same a document with a new name then you have to make a copy of the document or you can say duplicate document and you have to provide a new name to the duplicate copy which you have create. So the duplicated document is making a copy of actual object wherever it is existing on the storage device or somewhere else. Since object are having an association with the documents and it should be replaced with the new one when you are trying to create a duplicate copy. That means documents and duplicate copy are considered as totally two different objects. So it should be distinct version of the documents and it supposed to implemented with the different kind of copies which are appearing with same name and it could be identified as single atomic object in the storage device. I am hoping that you have got why Save as is not implemented by Apple.

Well I understood the entire concept which you have mentioned over here. after reading the entire explanation I have concluded that Lion has been designed in way so that users should not concerned about how things are getting stored on the storage device rather than they should concerned about procedures or you can say mechanisms what is getting stored on the storage device. the users will not require to think about the file systems in nearby future. Just because of high usage of flash storage. According to me the main thing is that Operating system should be a safe guard to the data and you will be able to access the data whenever needed without having any kind of trouble. Also there would be change how data to be stored in the future so there will not be any use of file system.

This particular operating system would allow you to use the document management services as an API for applications. I think it would be robust enough. This particular concept is derived from Object Oriented storage. However the working of the app is solely dependent on the developers only. However if you have got something which is not working properly then you can directly talk to the developers.

Apple has been developed this particular thing so elegantly and logically. However it supposed to be irrelevant in case one cannot be use the same efficiently. I can explain it by simple example. Suppose I have created a great website. CSS, JavaScript and jQuery are loading really fast and working great but the users are not able to get the basic function or they are wondering that it is less user friendly. You might sell that particular website because of look and feel but after long run people will not use it. as it was failing to get there requirement.

Another thing I wanted to discuss over here is that Apple did not managed to develop a device driver for Mac OS X. but they are looking to use file system which is being used on flash storage.

Though there would be lots of wastage of space and you will be able to access the device randomly and immediately.

But I am expecting HFS+ supposed to be file system which was used on flash storage and it might disappear . there will not be any sense of surprise if they are going to make big architecture changes in storage device in order to avoid wastage of the space. The main reason could that SSD sizes which ar greater than that of 256 GB are not offered by Apple itself.

There is another issue as Save As.. option has been lacked by Apple. I supposed to open text files by using Mac on the Windows Machine. Whereas Windows Machine was needed and application which would need an DOS Text file. You will be able to use Save as in the previous version of the TextEdit and simply rename the file and even change it to another file format as well. now you wil not be able mentioned any format by using Duplicate option. Even you will not be rename the same by using ..copy. so it should be fixed by Apple by any mean. However you will be able to rename and reformat desire file by making use of WordPad.

There is a disadvantage when you are using Save as well. when users are supposed to do save as that mean he is renaming the actual document and rename documents should be files as backup version. If there are changes to be done on real document then it won’t be reflected on the backup one. So the entire thing would move around closing doc, renaming as well as switching around. After that opening the desired one.

There are some developers who has saved this particular thing by adding Save a copy. When you are supposed to name as well as save document then it simply branches of form the original document . after completing with manual rename and save you will continue with working on the same document. So the thing Save as should be used when you are wanted to end up with the new doc and you can have Save a Copy when you are needed old doc afterwards. People should think about save as copy option.
    There is an option available on Photoshop to have a duplicate command but I really don’t wanted to use the same. Save As, Save a Copy, Duplicate command in Photoshop giving lots of flexibility to use.

What I am wondering is that apple is trying to rethink about the document handling as they are having lots of thing to do. however I don’t think so the new version of save as will not work at all. if people are really wanted to branch off the document then apple should provide some option like Save a Copy so the duplicate option can work properly.

I do agree what kind of changes you are looking for. There are some software developers who are allowing the users to create their keyboard shortcuts on the basis of their requirements. Sometimes it let you to makes use of previous version of menu as well.

Apple should not forget that there are people who are using such tool to earn their living. People who are looking for an Os upgrade might postpone as they need to learn the usage of new tools so that they can do the things in efficient manner.

As we know that most of the apple software can be easily used. I really do wanted to do as they are thinking if it is difficult to do. Apple people should make the changes easy so that users can understand the usage of it without putting much efforts