Thread: MS Word documents don’t open in apple iwork Pages 09 application.

MS Word documents don’t open in apple iwork Pages 09 application.

I was previously using MS word for presentation and taking printouts as my entire work dependent on ms word but later when I came to know regarding the apple’s page 09 and found this one to work in an different manner . and after it well confirmed that Pages 09 will open MS Word documents , I was really happy and as I had a macbook pro, and went to install the iwork Pages 09 and it was working well. But when I tried with opening of the ms word document , it was not opening . that was ridiculous as the main purpose was to open ms word documents with which I can work further. I am not concerned to any issues further, but just what went wrong as my friend is also using the same setup and there were no issues in his case. But in my concern, it gave me some error messages while trying to open the word document. So anyone here can suggest me some means in which i will be able to open the word documents. Thanks in advance.

Re: MS Word documents don’t open in apple iwork Pages 09 application.

I was with the same issue as I was also unable to open ms word documents and I received a error message such as that this document cannot be opened. But after I had some try using the Open menu of TextEdit and by this one I was able to open my office files . you can also try with using the free OpenOffice. And if it does not solve , you need to make sure that all your current iwork applications are updated and also make sure applications are present where the installer initially put them . also the word documents tend to open in iwork 08 or else iwork 09 in applications. In addition, you will have to rename the folder of iwork to iwork 08 or iwork 09. So a software update will also help you in this case.

As there are many people who have come across this issue and it has seen that the issue subsists because either the opened file is corrupted or opening an office’s file other than the word. I want to ask some questions in this matter as which version of iwork are you currently using . are you on Pages 08 or 09. Ms files importing with P 08 will not have any issues but better make sure regarding the testing of the pages with some higher version like the p 09. How are you opening them. Are they opening in the textedit . it does not highly relates with the textedit but it will tend to show if it is in readable format or not. But it will not make any formatting sense. There are some guys who are working on iwork 08 and facing such issues but let me make clear for them that with 08 you are able to import Word but you cannot change it to doc/docx , and if you are willing to do this one you will require to upgrade your application to 09 . o you can look for a copy of Office 2008 as it tends to be the best word processor .as if you consider the following combos such as iWork08 with Open Office, and you name it, it will always return to MS Office 2008. So you will be able to open an word document. So I can also confirm that Pages 09 opens and saves word 2008 documents with ease. And to add some more, I am sure it will open each one an re-save it as a pages document and if you require to send to some by means of MS word just save as a word document once more.It saves it as word 97 or 2004 format and it can be easily opened with word 97 and 2007 on windows OS word 2004-2008 on mac.

I just installed iwork and have been using Pages, and same situation in my case but I am able to save documents as .doc, but can’t open them. I checked in the "permission" window and it denotes that I can "read and write", but when I try to open the files I receive a error such as "The document ___ couldn't be opened" . but after working on it I made a try to get another copy of same file as there can be a probability with the file being corrupted. I am having the same problem with Doc as well as DocX formats. I can open the DocX files in TextEdit also and there are no issues with it as well. I later made some tries with using a Text Edit or OpenOffice but it was not solved yet, there are many replies stating that it will solve the issue.
    But after that I moved in the "Open" and "Open recent" in one of the Pages Toolbar menus. The second thing I tried was with an option which was offered me with a list of Pages documents which I have to make and since have reason to open. the first will enable you to browse as well as locate a specific document. After this you will be able to open it, whether it is a Pages document or else a Word document. I need to add further as you are using macbook pro, by default, Leopard is set to use TextEdit to open Word files. It is really to make some changes in it. highlight a known Word document in the Finder, highlight it and then select Get Info from the File menu. In the Get Info box, you need to click the triangle which will be besides "Open With." Then you need to click on this drop-down menu and select Pages. If Pages is not a option, select "Other" and you need to move in the Pages application. click the "Change" button under the text which asks if you want to open all documents like this with Pages. Double-click the Word documents ,they will tend to open in Pages. You will find a icon there for the Word files which will have a plain, white icon.

I will provide some more information in your case as this mostly suits to beginners as well as intermediates. So you are able to create a new Pages document by importing a document which is created in another application, like apple works or Microsoft Office 2007 and other version of ms office. So you also make a note of one thing that pages can import the following file formats such as plain text (.txt), Rich Text Format (.rtf and .rtfd), and if your format is different from this ones you will definitely face some issues. In regards with the appleWorks 6 word processing (.cwk) file format is supportable and Microsoft Word (.doc).

So I will provide a set of case to import a document:
    1. you will require to drag the document to the Pages application icon. contents of the imported document will tend to appear after a new Pages document is opened.
    2. In Pages, you need to select File and then Open, select the document, and then click Open.
    If you are not able to import a document, attempt opening the document in another application and saving it in a format Pages can read, otherwise copy and paste the contents into an offered Pages document.
    I worked in Pages '09 and it was extremely more pleasant than Office ever was. In addition , it also came into my notice that navigation seems to be far better in Pages and much more easy and perceptive than in MS Word.There are differences between the two programs but I was able to pick up a lot on how to labor in Pages in a very insignificant quantity of time as well as.

I am also having mac OS X with my new Mac Pro. I downloaded my MS Word files to a USB stick and I though they will render my work on pages 09. So after buying iWork '09 I was really impressed with the Pages App and after working in an traditional way, I was really excited to start working in Pages '09. And when I insert my USB stick with all my Word Docs on it into my Mac Pro, I am not knowing any idea regarding it as you just open up each file with the Pages '09 program or else is there some more work to perform to get Pages '09 to open the file up along with save it within Pages '09? I know Pages '09 works with MS Word files but in my case I don’t know why it is not supporting. Can you further explain me in this case. I know that pages saves files in its own proprietary format. And If you want to share the document with users of other programs, you need to export the file from Pages in Microsoft Word format. So that’s what I know. But however , I was not able to solve further. Microsoft Word may be able to get the text from your pages document. And I also made tries with using File and then Open. I was with a Format section and I require to choose here Recover Text from Any File and then attempting to open the Pages file and it does not support. So guys please assist me.

abners Guest

I was with the same issue as I was also unable to open ms word documents and I received a error message such as that this document cannot be opened.