Thread: Sony HDR-HC3E is not connecting to ilife imovie

Sony HDR-HC3E is not connecting to ilife imovie

My system runs on Mac OS X (10.6.7) and I am having iMovie '11, I have been trying to import from my Sony HDR-HC3E by connecting it to imovie and using the automatic setting but then the problem that I am having is that it is just filming for 5 seconds and after that is stops, I have tried configuring the setting manually as well but then it is not helping it appears as if it is not recording, is there anyone w2ho has faced the same and has an idea of resolving this issue???

Re: Sony HDR-HC3E is not connecting to ilife imovie

My system runs on Mac OS X (10.6.7) and I am having iMovie '11, I have been trying to import from my Sony HDR-HC3E by connecting it to imovie and using the automatic setting but then the problem that I am having is that it is just filming for 5 seconds and after that is stops, I have tried configuring the setting manually as well but then it is not helping it appears as if it is not recording, is there anyone w2ho has faced the same and has an idea of resolving this issue???
    I am not sure but then I just wanted to know that are you using any FireWire cable? I am asking so because the Sony HDR-HC3E records in HDV format on miniDV tape and only a FireWire cable should be used for importing video and so, I have checked out for the components that you are having and have found that the Sony HDR-HC3E has a FireWire 400 port where as the Mac has FireWire 800 and if you are really having the same case then you will have to use a cable having mini FW 400 plug on one end for connecting to the camera where as standard FW 800 plug for connecting to the Mac on the other hand, if you want then you can also check out the adaptors that are available in the Apple Store you can also get them from the Apple retailers, these adaptors are capable of converting a standard FW 400 6 pin plug in to a 9 pin FW 800 plug but then I have found that all adaptors and the cables does not work so you will have to check out the review of the same before getting it, I just wanted to know that have were you able to import previously or this is the first time that you are using the Sony HDR-HC3E with iMovie '11??

In that case you can try out following the below things and see if the issue is getting solved or not:
    • You scan try connecting and starting the camera with the iMovie in the some different sequence
    • Make sure that your camera is connected to the mains power and not the battery
    • Makes sure that the camera is not in the Record mode and is in VCR (Playback) mode
    • You should also go through the camera's manual for better trouble shooting
    • If possible the try out some other FireWire cable, can you just let me know that which FireWire cables are using currently from the below ones:

1. FW 400 (4 pin mini plug) > FW 800 (9 pin)
    2. FW 400 (4 pin mini plug) > FW 400 (6 pin)
    3. FW 400 (4 pin mini) > FW 400 (6 pin) with a adaptor for converting to FW 800 (9 pin).

It might be a bit technical to you but then this information can give me a better idea for understanding the issue that you are facing, I think that most of the cameras might be having 4 pin FireWire 400 port so if your Mac is having FireWire 800 then you will have to get the appropriate cable or adaptor for the same to get it working, I have checked about the same and have found that there are some external FireWire drive which has FireWire 400 port along with FireWire 800 port for connecting to Mac so you can get the same as well.

Yes I am having a Belkin cable that I am having is FireWire 800/400 9-Pin to 4-Pin and I have bought the same from apple store itself but then when I am connecting the camera using it then I am just able to activate the controls on the camera through the iMovies screen and other than this I can forward, rewind and play the tape on the camera from the mac but then I do not know why the video is not getting displayed on the computer, I don’t think that there is anything wrong with the cable but then it appears as if only some features are operating, just to explain the same in detail, when I am starting the importing process then the camera is automatically rewinding the tape and when the rewinding process gets completed then it starts playing the for about 5 seconds but then after that it just stops and won’t start further. I am not very sure but then if there was something wrong with the cable that I am having then it should have not played the videos for 5 seconds as well, what do you have to say about the same? Have you came across such case before??

Now you have made me stumped after sharing that in detail, previously even I had tried importing from my old miniDV camcorder (Sony DCR-TRV20E) but then I never had faced the issue that you have mentioned, It a bit hard to guess your case, there are possibilities that you might be having bad segment on the tape, I had faced the same with JVC miniDV tape when I was trying to starting from a point and then later after some time it used to stop, I guess that you are having the same issue where iMovie is insisting on rewinding the tape but then stopping and then not starting further, just try out playing the tape without connecting to the mac so as to check if you are able to find out any glitches or any distorted images after that just stop playback after moving the area where iMovie was stopping and then try connecting it to the mac and as soon as the camera gets recognized then hit the import button immediately and check out if you are still having the same issue, I think that by doing this the iMovie will not start rewinding, as I have checked about the same have found that Belkin cables are said to be the problematic ones, you can also try to connect to the similar Mac at the Apple Store or outlet to get the appropriate working cable, I think that will be a better idea for isolating the problem and it will help you in finding out whether the issue is with the cable or there is a bad port on your camera or mac, I think that guessing this things out without performing the test I have suggested will be hard. Other than this I also wanted to know that are you aware if the recording was made using the Long Play setting or the Standard Play setting? If it is recorded from the Long Play setting then it can cause such issues if the tape is played back on a different camera with the different recording settings, anyways just check out the possible things that I have mentioned and then let me know the response that you get for them, or else you will have to wait for other users reaching this thread who might be using the same combo and might have ran in to same issues.

I have been facing same issue with the HDR HC3E Sony camcorder when I am trying to connect using a new Firewire cable, I don’t know why the camcorder is just not showing it as connected in imovie 11 on my 17" Macbook Pro, my Macbook is been running on osx 10.6.8 and I have set the Camcorder at VCR HDV/DV = HDV, component 1081i/5761, i.link =off. I have never faced the same as I am connecting the HDR HC3E Sony camcorder to Macbook Pro for the first time but then I don’t think that I am missing anything as I had connected the same Sony camcorder to my brothers 15" macbook pro and I did not had any such issues and everything was working out well there but then I am not able to guess the issue with the Macbook Pro that I am currently using. I have checked about the same in some other forums as well and have found a no of people having the same issue but then I have not yet found an effective solutions that I can try out to get rid of this issue, is there any other workaround that I can try out or some settings that needs to be changes, I am really running out of ideas in this case, so any help regarding this will be highly appreciated.