Thread: Not able to upgrade Library to iPhoto '11 and cannot rebuild Library as well

Not able to upgrade Library to iPhoto '11 and cannot rebuild Library as well

I have recently installed iLife '11 and since then the problem that I am facing is that the iPhoto Library is appearing to be unusable as I am Not able to upgrade Library to iPhoto '11, when I am clicking on OK for upgrading the library then the process is appearing to be staring fine but then after sometimes I am getting an error message saying "iPhoto is unable to open this Library" I have tried rebuilding the Library as well but then I am not allowed to do so. I have tried switching back to the iPhoto '09 and resetting the Library using an older backup and had moved the iPhoto '11 to the desktop and after that I had deleted the iPhoto prefs and had re-installed iPhoto '09 using the disc, I was actually thinking of using iPhoto '09 for rebuilding the library and when I am trying to do so then I am not getting any error message but then the iPhoto instantly quits, I am really running out of ideas and I am clueless of any further solution, is there anything I can try out now??

Re: Not able to upgrade Library to iPhoto '11 and cannot rebuild Library as well

I have been facing the same issue and I am getting the same error message saying "iphoto is unable to open this library" I had never faced this issue before, by now I have tried out the below solutions but then they have not yet helped.
    • I have tried rebuilding the library from iPhoto '11 using the CMD+Option while opening the program but then I got the same error message
    • I tried switching back to the iPhoto '09 and had deleted the iPhoto '11 from /Applications/ along with its reference in iPhoto in /Library/Receipts and then installed the iPhoto '09 using the discs, after this I was able to open the library but then when I tried rebuilding the library then ran in to same issues.

I have not yet got any luck and I am still having the same problem, if anyone else find out and other solution for this then please share it will be highly appreciated.

Re: Not able to upgrade Library to iPhoto '11 and cannot rebuild Library as well

I have not tried the below solution and it is appearing to be helping but then has not helped me out in fixing the issue completely:
    I have tried using the Option and then clicking on the iPhoto '11 and then choosing the option for creating new library in the ~/Pictures/ folder and after that I closed the iPhoto but then when I moved back to the ~/Pictures/ folder and tried opening the original iPhoto library by right-clicking on it then it was not opening, the newly created iPhoto library was not opening as well and was just showing the content.
    So now I copied all the contents of the original iPhoto library manually to the new iPhoto library and at this time some folders and files were overwritten but then the structure of the iPhoto '09 library and iPhoto '11 library were different, so after doing that when I tried opening the iPhoto then it successfully upgraded the library as well but then I don’t know for what reason some photos did not come back and they were missing originals as well as the thumbnails, the album structure, faces are now appearing to be intact but then the issue has not been solved it, is there any other solution that I can try out or any other step after that I can include in the above solution???

I was having the same issue and I am not that aware of the solutions that has been mentioned above but then I was able to solve it out by trying out this solutions:
    • I had got the back of my library using Time Machine backup and after right clicking on the same in ~/Pictures/ I chose the option of getting information and had set out the permissions for Read & Write, later when I used the Option-clicked while opening the iPhoto then I was able to see the newly-permissioned library and I was able to upgrade without any issues as well, I had not faced any lost of my photos.

If anyone wants then they can try out the same and see if it is helping, I am not sure if it will help or not but then I think that you both should give it a try at least as it has helped me out with the same issue. Just try it out and then post back the result that you get for this solution. Hope it helps.

Even I am having the same issue and by now I have tried out the below solutions.
    • I have tried launching the iPhoto 11 several times and everything was appearing to be ok but then when I closed iPhoto and reopened it then it appeared to be locked with the loading icon, I did waited for several hours but then it did not start, in my case I am having 4 library and I have also deleted some files from naming library file like ThemeCache, InterruptedUpdate, Projects.db-journal, ProjectDBVersion.plist and they are working but then they does not seems to be making any difference as it is still locked.

I am really getting irritated with this solution now, I have tried out all the possible solution that I could have but have not yet got any luck, is there any other effective workaround that I can try out? Any help regarding this will be highly appreciated.

I will suggest you to do a back up restore it and then try opening the same temporarily in IPhoto 09. I have contacted the Apple tech support for the same and they had suggested me to rebuild after installing the originals and masters in the iphoto11 icon on the dock directly after opening the new library, they had told that I will be losing all the albums but then the photos will be there, they had also suggested me to rebuild the backup by keeping the IPhoto 09 open but then they have not helped me, if you want then you can try out the same and check out if they are making any difference in your case, in my case I am having one 700GB having 90000 photos where as other having 1.40TB with some 205000 photos library, I also wanted to share that in the starting ILIFE was having limit of 20,000 photos but then it is not the same in the 09 or 11, I am willing to open them in IPhoto 09 by breaking them in to more libraries and will see if I am able to open them in to IPhoto 11 or not, I will post back the result of the same as well, till then you all can try out the solution that I have suggested.

I was having the same condition but then I was able to upgrading iPhoto09 to 11 successfully without any issues, in my case My iPhoto Library size is somewhere around 200 gb and it is having more than 100 smart and non-smart albums, below is the solution that have worked out for me, if you want then you can try out the same:
    1. First I switched back to iPhoto09
    2. Then deleted all the Smart and Non-smart Albums that I was having in my case
    3. When I was done with the above task then I quit iPhoto09 and then restarted the same using the OPT+CMD key and had found the rebuilding process to be starting
    4. When the process got completed then I had removed iPhoto09 and had reinstalled the iPhoto11
    5. Later I launched the iPhoto11 and started the library upgrade and it was done successfully without any further issues.

I also wanted to share that if anyone is willing to keep the albums then they can just mark the Keyword to every photos within the album and later in iPhoto11 they can just Make the smart album with the help of the keyword, just try this out and then post back the result that you get for it.

I have checked out for the same and I have found one solution that has helped many without losing any photos, so if there is any one still having the same issue then they just have to restore a backed up version of the iPhoto Library using the Time Machine, if they want then they can use any other mean for the same as well and once you are ready with it then follow the below workaround:
    • Firs just download and install BatChmod and then run the same
    • After that Drag and Drop your iPhoto Library in the open BatChmod window and then just change the R, W and X Letters within the Owner, Group and Everyone.
    • Make sure that you are doing a check mark and also check marking the boxes like Change ownership,privileges, Clear ACLs and unlock box and after that just click on apply and then you are done, you should not have any issues in running your iPhoto 11.

Other thing i wanted to share is that if anyone is not able to open iPhoto 11 then there are possibilities that their library might have been damaged, just try out the solution that has been mentioned above and do post back the response that you get from it so as to help others as well.

I have finally solved out the issue and have got the conversion to work:
    • I just duplicated my iPhoto library to the desktop and renamed it to 09 app so as to use the same as my working copy and after that I installed iPhoto 11
    • After that I just opened the working copy of the library in ’09 by using the option/command keys and making sure that I am check marking the options for rebuilding the library.
    • I had copied my stuffs to a folder outside of iPhoto and then deleted the folder within iPhoto, I also deleted all the Keepsake items and emptied the trash as well.
    • When I was done until here then I had repeated the 2 step and then opened the library package and deleted the ipspot_update file.
    • Later I had used BatChmod and changed the permissions and then duplicated my library and then Rebooted in Safe Mode and then opened the Rebooted in Safe Mode, at this time the attempt had failed but then after opening the library package and then deleting the InterruptedUpgrade file when I opened the Library in ’11 then I had no issues but then I found that some of the thumbnails were missing.
    • So I just Quit iPhoto and opened the iPhoto 11 using the option/command keys and again made sure that I am check marking the options for rebuilding the library and then the iPhoto worked.