Thread: Outlook 2003/2007 - Always allow SSL certificate

amertayeh Guest

question Outlook 2003/2007 - Always allow SSL certificate

Hello people,

I am having a problem and hope to find the answer I am seeking with you.

I am trying to configure outlook to connect to a shared mail server (with shared SSL certificate) using my domain name. Of course this will give a mismatch error; that my domain name does not match the name on the certificate (which is the hosting company name).

What I want is to force outlook to connect always without prompting the "The target principal name is incorrect" error while keeping the server names in account settings for incoming and outgoing the same.

I tried adding the certificate to the trusted root certification authorities, but that did not help since the error is name mismatch, not untrusted certificate publisher.

Thank you,
    Amer

Re: Outlook 2003/2007 - Always allow SSL certificate

Try looking on the below link. It is a bit difficult to work with that error especially when you are on shared mail server. I does not really matter with other third party service. I tried to look for appropriate solution, but there are random doubts generated which can trigger another problem also. Just have a look on the below it might be helpful.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/328917

To fix the issue click on View Certificate. In that you have to checkout the part where it is written issued to. You can find the name of person whom the certificate is assigned. You have to properly add details of the incoming and outgoing server here. Sometime this fail to work because there might be more than one name for the certificates. You can go in the Details tab and go in Subject Alternative Name. You can find other names here. You can try adding them also and check to connect once again. This might resolve the issue.

The issue appear when certificate name mismatches. You have to understand first how this thing works. Then only you can go ahead with fixing the issue. This is a common issue to many. Because here Outlook relies on the smtp address. If the name mismatches in the certificate you will get that popup on the screen. There are certain work around to fix the issue. You can find all of them at one place in the below linked article. Click on the same and checkout all the solutions. This will surely help you to get a solution.

How to suppress the AutoDiscover mismatch warning in Outlook 2007, Outlook 2010, and Outlook 2013