Thread: How to remove unused styles in a document in Word 2010.

How to remove unused styles in a document in Word 2010.

I am not able to get to this as I am not finding any solutions regarding this topic and are you guys knowing some exact method of removing any unused styles in a Word 2010 document as well as I am concerned to this as I don’t wish to do that so one by one in the Styles task pane? Some of my MS Word docs (Windows XP) have been through numerous hands and there are many styles which are defined here. Lots of these styles are trash. In addition, to detail in further, doing it manually by stepping from side to side all of the styles one by one, and then checking whether each style is in use or not as well as subsequently deleting the styles I don't require. So guys can you find out some means to take away all styles that are not used in a document?

Re: How to remove unused styles in a document in Word 2010.

I have something to tell and in regarding with this topic I have followed the below mentioned steps and you will have a definite solution after trying out this thing.

• You first of all , need to run one of the macros the deletes unused styles.
    • And then display the 2007/2010 Styles pane.
    • After this, you will require to turn on the "Show Preview" alternative so you are able to see the formatting associated with the style.
    • look through the list for style names which tend to be unfamiliar in your case or styles which are repeated or that essentially look like usual.
    • Then you need to right click on the style
    • pick the "select all" alternative
    • you can also apply another style, often Normal.
    • Then right click on the style once more
    • choose "delete" to eliminate the style.
    It will tend to be slow but it will be sure short a working solution.

I was also concerning to the same issue and I tried my best to work with it but was not able to solve it further. Later I had talks with my friends as they were also having similar queries and made some research and it was found that you are able to make use of the Organizer dialog box so that you are able to delete multiple styles at once. To display the dialog box, you need to perform the following operation. You need to press Ctrl+Alt+Shift+S so that you are able to display the Styles pane. Afterward, you can click the Manage Styles button which you will find in the Manage Styles dialog, and then click the Import/Export button. Try this you will surely come across some solution.

I have found some definite situations which I think will solve your issue, you need to select the entire document apart from for the very last paragraph mark. You can copy and paste into a latest document.

Word "invests" document-level formatting and I consider, would comprise redundant styles in that final paragraph mark, and according to me I suppose this way cures a variety of maladies afflicting Word docs. I dint made any attempts by making use of this means to solve this particular issue, but give it a shot.

According to me, I found this one to be working and there are a couple of alternatives you are able to make use of to help manage the pain of styles in Word docs. So you need to open the "Styles and Formatting" sidebar, and choose "Show styles in use”
    after you have limited to showing simply what is at present in use, you need to go back to that drop-down list and then choose "Custom" so that you are able to open the "Format Settings" pop-up.

subsequently you need to click the "Styles" button, to open the list of obtainable styles. Then choose the "user defined styles" to show presently the non-standard styles in use, disregarding the MS-defined things like Heading 1, etc. You are able to delete any here that are not listed as being in use in the sidebar.
    The "Organizer" button in bottom which is present on the left of the Styles pop-up will go to the Organizer window. The Organizer window denotes the styles in use, both in the existing document and in the Normal.dot document template. You are able to move often-used styles into Normal at this time, or else kill all styles in the document along with just remain whats in Normal.

I have some other trick and the to remember in this thing is that styles are nested: Bold, then Bold and then in addition Indented, then Bold + Indented + Font Size... If you tend to make an deletion of the "Bold" style, you as well delete the nested variants . Finally, to clear junk out, the simply other alternative you have is to get the sidebar to illustrate all styles, then manually click on each one to see how many case of it there are. If there are no occurrences of a particular style or it's nested variants, you need to delete the style.

in addition, I would also like to say that the "Remove Hidden Data" tool will kill unused styles (I think) but it has the unfortunate wrong consequence of inserting an auto-warning regarding hidden data each time the file is subsequently opened .

I also made some attempts to solve this case but was not able to solve. i've used an trick which extremely messed-up Word documents is this:

Export to HTML.and then Open HTML in BBEdit. In addition, you also require to remove all styling information, which includes class attributed in tags, and this can go pretty fast with a little GREPping). Afterthat you need to Reimport into Word.If you've set up header styles with the right levels in addition to what not, you'll still have a comparatively intact document arrangement. You are able to then create styling from scratch.I confess this is not a desirable alternative, and is likely more work than just biting the bullet along with deleting the styles within Word.

It seems the macro does not tend to like the tables. This is ordinary each time you have to look into a cell to ensure what is the style.

according to me, here is a fix so that you are able to skip the tables , you need to replace the corresponding For/Next routine) :

Code:
    While oEnum.hasMoreElements 
     thisElement = oEnum.nextElement 
     Do 
      For i = 0 to uBound(inUse()) 
         If thisElement.supportsService("com.sun.star.text.Paragraph") Then 
             If inUse(i) = thisElement.ParaStyleName then Exit Do 
         Else 
            exit Do 
         End if 
      Next

I attempted in this way and see to it whether you are able to get out with this.
    1) you need to open an OOo doc.

2) then move in the tools >> Macros >> Organize Macros >> OpenOffice.org Basic

after this one the "Basic Macros" dialog will tend to appear.

3) you need to click "Organizer".

4) In the "Modules" tab, you need to open the "My Macros".

5) then you will require to Highlight "Standard".

6)and then Click "New".

7) Type "MyModule". Click OK. And then click "Edit". You will be with an VB editor.

9) then paste the macro from the forum. And press "Run".

at this moment run the macro by making use of Tools | Macros | Run Macro

The message box appears: "Remove unused styles?...". and then click yes.
    So this is all you need to do and you will be with your expected solution.

You can have a look at the code.
    then you can identify the

Code:
     ' begin with string
    IF condition. you can then comment out the IF as well as the END IF line (by adding a REM at starting of the line). and after testing here , deleted all deletable styles.This macro will tend to delete all custom styles. The only issue is that it will have some issues when you suppose to delete the unused custom styles . in addition, On the Stylist Window you are able to filter the viewed styles, to observe only the used styles. It should be probable to access this property, to avoid a macro from deleting the used styles.