Thread: PowerPoint on Office for Mac 2011 can open pptx files but refuses to open ppt files

PowerPoint on Office for Mac 2011 can open pptx files but refuses to open ppt files

In my computer I have MAC OS X lion and I am facing problem with PowerPoint on Office for Mac 2011. When I try to open ppt files at that time power point freezes. if I try to open pptx files at that time it works fine. Please tell me what should I do to solve this problem?

Re: PowerPoint on Office for Mac 2011 can open pptx files but refuses to open ppt files

Are you facing this problem while opening any particular ppt files or this problem occurs with every ppt files. If this problem occurs with any particular ppt files then it means problem is with that files only other wise something wrong with PowerPoint.

Re: PowerPoint on Office for Mac 2011 can open pptx files but refuses to open ppt files

You should remove PowerPoint preferences from your computer and after removing PowerPoint preferences you have to check whether you are getting same problem or not? Many times deleting power point preference file can this type of problem.

To delete preferences of powerpoint ion your computer you have to follow this steps. First you have to go to apple menu and then you have to go to home and open Library folder. In library folder you have to open Preferences. Now you have to look for com.microsoft.powerpoint.plist file and after that you have to move that file to desktop. After doing that you have to open PowerPoint for Mac in your computer and then check whether you can open ppt files or not? According to me after deleting preferences of power point your problem will get solved.

This problem takes place because of the font cache. You should clear font caches from your system and after doing that you have to see whether you get same issue while opening ppt files in PowerPoint or not. In my computer I have tried this solution and my problem get solved.

Quote Originally Posted by Shurod View Post
    This problem takes place because of the font cache. You should clear font caches from your system and after doing that you have to see whether you get same issue while opening ppt files in PowerPoint or not. In my computer I have tried this solution and my problem get solved.
    If you have installed many additional fonts then this type of problem occurs and by clearing Font caches in your computer will solve this problem. To clear font caches you have to first go to application and then open utilities after that open terminal. Now after that run below command

atsutil databases –removeUser
    Now open PowerPoint and check what the result is.

I have Leopard operating system in my computer and I am also facing same problem with my system. I have deleted PowerPoint preference files from my computer and after doing that also I was facing same problem. I have also cleared font cache but that does not make any difference. Now please tell me how can I resolve this problem?

You should delete duplicate fonts from your system and after removing that you have to restart your computer and then open power point and try to open ppt files. Deleting duplicate fonts from the system can also cause this problem. In my system I was having problem while opening pptx files and then I have removed duplicate fonts and then my problem get solved. To remove duplicate fonts you have to open apple font book and then run Select Duplicated Fonts command from edit menu. Now after that you have to run Resolve Duplicates command. Then restart your computer.

Clearing font caches from my computer and deleting PowerPoint preference file does not help me to solve this problem. Now after that I have also tried to solve this problem removing duplicate fonts from fontbook but that does not make any difference. If anyone have solution regarding this then let me know.
    Thank you in advance.

Follow this steps and then to solve this problem.

• Go to applications
    • Select utilities
    • Now open disk utility
    • Select your primary hard drive.
    • Click on Verify Disk Permissions
    • If you see any error then click on Repair Disk Permissions.

After that see whether it makes any difference or not?

I was also looking for the solution regarding this problem and then I have read above post and I have repaired disk permission after that tried to start open ppt file in PowerPoint and then it does not give me any problem.