Thread: Need some tips to use vSphere 5 Dell R710 Servers

Need some tips to use vSphere 5 Dell R710 Servers

I need some help to get a small overview of understanding a vSphere 5 environment on Dell R710 Servers. I am going to setup a virtual environment where a number of systems will be connected to it. There are around 3 to 4 servers which have 16 Gigabit Network Interface cards. There is a san storage and 2 switches to manage the traffic of virtual network. Two switches are assigned different task. One is used for virtual machine and other one for management. There is one more switch which are 2 nic on it. So I just need to know some advice that will my setup works fine or there can be any better stuff I can do. I had made a basic wire frame of the entire virtual network. Then I will go with the final setup.

Re: Need some tips to use vSphere 5 Dell R710 Servers

I think you will need some kind of documentation for the same which can help you to setup a entire network via VSphere 5. What matters mostly is the connectivity and the hardware that are installed in it. Another important thing to ensure is route the traffic properly as and when needed. I will advice you to find information related to configuration of isci with eql arrays. The setup which you mentioned shows that there are lot more additional stuff which I think is not really needed. Depends on the number of system in your network you can remove or add as you need.

It does not really matter how much nic you use. Benefit of this is that it helps the operation system to be more multi threaded on input and output work. If you are planing to have a number of disc connected then you must specify those which can provide you multiplier controllers.

You can divide the nics as per the usage which can manage the network more properly. Like 2 nics can be configured to iscis devices. You can try to add additional to it as and when needed. Second another 2 nics can be set for th management of switch. Another 2 nics can help to to get better bandwidth and can use used by vmkernel for fail overs.

It is recommended that you also keep an eye on the latency output of nic used. There can be high latency that can cause you failure if the network traffic is quiet high. You must monitor the network usage.