Thread: Virtual Machine Limitations

Virtual Machine Limitations

Leader: Like, I guess, many of you, my cashflow is at a premium.
    History: I got Win 7 HPE free with my 64-bit HP desktop pc and purchased it for my 32-bit pc [after following MSN's instructions to clean up Control Panel problems and ruining my XP Prof which was on that pc when purchased and wouldn't reinstall from the back-up disk - fortunately, I still had XP HE on a separate disk]. Anyway, I needed to continue running my COREL 6 [cost about £200 originally, can't afford the newest version], and it can only run on XP, so virtuality was the answer. After trying about 4 virtual-machine freeware packages [again, upgrading to Win 7 Pro or Ult to run Virtual XP wasn't an affordable option], I found VMWare. Their player is freeware, but one needs to upgrade to Workstation to use usb support for printers. There is a printer option, but it's only for Serial interface, and I tried a "translator" package to emulate the serial port, but no file would go to the printers. No error messages: just no-go.
    I installed all my HP printer software into XP/VMWare, and create a .PRN file in COREL, then drag this out into the Host environment to FROGMORERAWPRINT [which seems to be the only solution when print-to-file from DOS no longer exists], but there's no real end-product quality control.
    Q: Does anyone know a cheapskate solution, please?

Re: Virtual Machine Limitations

Have you tried installing the corel 6 in windows 7 in compatibility mode and check if it helps. To install in compatibility mode, follow these steps.
    1. Right click on the setup file (setup.exe for the program) and select Properties.
    2. Now click on the Compatibility tab and check the box which says Run this program in compatibility mode for.
    3. Select Windows XP (Service Pack 3). Click Apply and OK.
    4. Now right click the setup file and select Run as Administrator and follow the normal installation procedure. Check to see if you can use the program now.

Can a VM play games, like Dragon Age Origins or Civilization V?

Yes you can but you must have a good hardware support and not all games will work in Vmware. Dragon Age Origins or Civilization V games need better graphics and some of them work on special texture programs. If you can get them work on vmware then you can play this game also. Mostly vmware does not support graphic emulator because of which many games does not work.