Thread: Steam freezes on closing

Steam freezes on closing

Steam freezes in my system when I try to exit it. It happens a couple of time while sometime it works fine. I have a Windows 7 system. My system has a core 2 duo process with a 512gb gpu. So that does not looks low config for the games I play. But still when I try to exit the game I get a message that one more more steam app is running. To end the same you will need to close all steam application. I cannot see any steam application that is running in my system. Why this is happening. I need to reboot my system to get rid of this.

Re: Steam freezes on closing

It is possible that some kind of application or service in the background prevent steam to exist. You can fix that out by ending that process from task manager. Press Ctrl + Alt + Del and in the process look for any app that is associated to Steam. End the same and then try to exit steam. If you have many games then you will need to check that all of them are closed properly and no updates are running in the back.

Do you have any third party programs in your system which is associated with Steam. You can check that in system tray. Just see you can find any icon related to any program that work with your game and steam. If you find the same you will need to close that also. Then only the steam will exit without the error. Also in Windows Task Manager you can find the list of services that are running in the back end. Verify which one is associated with Steam or the game you play. End that one and then try back. Also check in task manager that steam process is running or not. If it is you will need to end that one and then try back. This is a kind of really annoying issue which appears many time because of third party programs. There will be no use of removing and then installing this back again in your system.

This is a most common bug in steam which is caused on many games. I had faced this specifically on counter strike. I am not able to understand why this appear. Then I saw on the system stray an icon which shows my in game status to my friend. After closing that steam was closed without error.

What I know that the process is not related to steam.exe. There are other services which are linked with steam and cause the issue. If you click or end process any other service steam might freeze suddenly. So the most common solution for that I found the just reboot your system. It ends up everything. Or for quick help end the steam process from Task Manager. If you found any service which is associated with steam you can remove that from add/remove programs. But remember that by doing this you might not able able to use some features. Steam exit is common issue with many bugs especially when you are playing those all games online. I tried ending this up by ending the steam process tree. But nothing worked out.

If steam irritates you on every boot then one thing I can suggest here. Remove the steam service from msconfig so that it does not gets auto launched on boot. Run it only when you want to play game.

When I face this issue I end everything with task manager. There is nothing much you can do. I had seen steam forums full of this issue and there is no right solution given. Atleast there should be steps that can be used to end up the service soon and get back our work.