Thread: I am no able to restore Steam Backup from my system

I am no able to restore Steam Backup from my system

I need help here to restore my steam backup. I am very frustrated by the restoration process. I have Intel Core 2 system with 500GB drive. I am just testing a number of operating system on my drive. For that purpose I had seperately attached 2 drives of 250G and 160GB. Now I installed Windows and Linux on them. I had configured the bootloader. Due to some issue my system crashed. I re-install all stuff and the first drive has all my person data. I have played a lot games on Steam. Now I want to move the backup files back to the default folders so that my played games are saved. I tried to search in steam client there is no option shown for restoring the backup files. Right now hen I try to click on any external restore files then it is not responding at all. I had wonder that backup will help to get back my all files in case of crash. I need a properly way by which I can get my all settings back on steam. I had many games in steam and do not want to loose all save games. Is there a way by which I can restore my files back to the game in a much faster way. Thanks.

Re: I am no able to restore Steam Backup from my system

The reason behind the issue is still a mystery. Last time my friends pc crashed. I took the backup of steam folder and pasted that in another drive. We formatted the system and all stuff went fine. Now when I tried to migrate the games files back in the steam the process tool long time and in the mid it stopped responding. The process of restoring steam files is very slow. I tried that thing more than 10 times and did not succeeded in getting it done. Try to restore it one by one. You might get lucky to get those settings back in some of your games.

I think you do not know the properly process of using steam backup because of which you are facing that issue. I can provide you some steps which can help you to restore the game back.
    • First install Steam and ensure that you are logged in with correct account.
    • It is recommended to copy the backup files on a CD/DVD. The restore process automatically scans the dis and imports the file.
    • If still the restoration does not work from the backup file run steambackup.exe. If this files does not exist in the disc you can download this from web and add in the disc.
    • Once done you can continue with other game installation.

There is a other way by which the backup can be stored. You do not need the steambackup.exe for that. There is a manual process by which you can simply copy paste the file in steam folder and get all your game data. For that go in \steamapps\ folder. This folder is located in Windows DirectoryProgram Files\Steam\steamapp. Just search for steamapps folder. Then look for all .ncf files and copy the same. The files will different for every game. Now look for common\folder. This is the place where you will need to put all those .ncf files. You can keep a backup of this files ready with you incase needed in future.

That was really helpful. I recommend the manual way of doing this. The reason is, there is more surety of all your files copied properly in the right place.