Thread: Which is the best alternative for Windows Media Center?

Which is the best alternative for Windows Media Center?

I am just wondering that what can be the best alternative for Windows Media Center. If you have some idea regarding this then please post that over here.

Re: Which is the best alternative for Windows Media Center?

I think that the MediaPortal will be the best alternative for the Windows Media Center. MediaPortal turns your PC into a modern multimedia center.
    • Listen to music and radio (including Internet radio)
    • Play your videos, movies or DVD's from
    • Take a look at your photos and pictures, or create a slide show
    • You watch TV, or record your favorite shows - and free
    • Transfer music, radio, TV or any media to any networked PC in your home
    • Retrieve weather forecasts, news, RSS feeds, or surf for information from the Internet or simply play Tetris or Sudoku times

I also agree that the MediaPortal will be the best option for you. But the functions posted above are just the basic functions for this. Through the use of over a hundred available extensions and skins you can do almost everything, from where you were afraid to dream: Control your HTPC, get sports scores, look for what's going on at the cinema near you, transfer the Internet TV, Internet radio and Internet video on Apple Trailers, YouTube, etc.

I am having TVersity. TVersity is a program that lets you create your own home media server and distribute audio content, video or image to any device in the home with technology DLNA or UPnP.
    Pros
    • Fast and reliable
    • Playing very stable
    • Very easy to configure
    • Streams content from YouTube, Flickr, etc ...
    • Plays any format

Cons
    • The library must be refreshed manually
    • Interface tawdry

I am just using the MediaPortal for listening my favorite music and I have already created playlist for that.

XBMC is also good to consider. XBMC is a shell around the desktop of your PC that allows you (HD) movies, photos and music on your TV. XBMC takes the whole screen and rotate (default) in a window. You make your PC as a multimedia center in the living room and bedroom. What is quite unique to XBMC is that all of codecs, which are required for certain file formats to be able to open and / or playback. The program can handle the most exotic film formats. XBMC is also expandable with free plug-ins can be downloaded via the Internet.

XBMC can safely handle 720P and 1080P HD video. Non-HD video is automatically converted to something similar to HD quality. The resolution of the original non-HD file is artificially inflated (upscaling). This option is enabled by default. Music, movies or pictures that are compressed with ZIP or RAR are automatically displayed by XBMC. The program looks like it were in the packed file and displays content. That is instant playback from this file and you do not need to unpack. This includes files that are somewhere on the home network. XBMC is expandable with many additional features, which goes through plug-ins. There are plug-ins that automatically correct subtitles search for movies and plug-ins that the sung text to search for music and tones.

Ohh…I have written a small review for XBMC. But seriously, it is the best that I can recommend you.

Just check, if you find GB-PVR interesting or not. GB-PVR offers several options, but focuses mainly on television, recording and playback recorded content. The package, however, according to the specification list, including several advanced features in the field of video and music. GB-PVR supports a wide range of files, so you can take pictures to view, it is possible to watch videos, it is possible to play DVDs and music playback is also possible. However, the package focuses mainly on watch and record TV. There are several utilities available whatsoever.

I don’t think that GB-PVR is that good as it is mentioned. You can go for the Boxee. Boxee mediacenter is a platform that organizes your media on your computer and makes it easy to integrate your shows, movies and documentaries with your TV. It is free software you can download from the official website and install on your home computer / laptop and eventually connect to the TV or hop a mediacenter on a separate computer and destine only that use. With so many series, programs, documentaries and hundreds of recordings, many of you sure you need a content management system at home.

I found that the MythTV had got a good review. MythTV focuses mainly on Digital Video Recording. This means that the functions concentrate on this 'subject'. Thus, it is possible to record television programs to record, with an almost complete freedom. Television programs can live pause and you will be able to rewind as well as fast forward.

In my opinion the Moovida is the best for you. Here are the features of this.
    • minimal design (it is fashionable, ed),
    • Fluid graphics even on PCs with graphics cards, not just recent,
    • Expandable functionality through plugins (still few)
    • Management and efficient search of the metadata of music, movies and more.

If you are on the mac or linux platform then my suggestion to you is to make use of the Freevo.