Thread: Adobe Reader X showing Error Message: (1074724867:3)

Adobe Reader X showing Error Message: (1074724867:3)

I am using Adobe Reader X on my PC with Windows Vista running on it. Whenever I try to open a downloaded pdf file from email or any website, Adobe Reader X shows an error message (1074724867:3). The document doesn’t open after this error. If I try to open pdf documents stored on my hard disk that have been brought in my PC from External Device then it works properly. Can anybody tell me what his error is and how to solve it?

Re: Adobe Reader X showing Error Message: (1074724867:3)

I had this same problem when working on document opened in Internet Explorer 8 on Windows 7. I too was facing the same problem of Adobe Reader X not reading the pdf documents downloaded from web browser. So I after analyzing the problem I realized that the problem can be solved by unchecking the ‘Display PDF in browser’ option from preferences. It can be found in Internet options in preferences of Adobe Reader X. Now whenever you click on link leading to a pdf document online, it will not be opened within the browser, but will directly be downloaded and then opened in Adobe Reader.

I have worked on Adobe Reader X for long time now to know enough which process related to it causes this problem. When you start Adobe Reader X, go in the task manager, under the processes tab find a process by name ‘AcroRd32.exe’. This process is and was responsible for integration between the Adobe Reader and Web Browsers. Unlike previous versions of Adobe Readers, this recent version launches this process separately. This new innovation has resulted in a bug which creates multiple instances of it giving rise to errors. You can kill these processes and then see f the pdf document opens fine.

Adobe Reader X has an inbuilt scanner which scans for detecting any malicious file that it might encounter. In many cases, the pdf document is not scanned when viewing in a web browser. But once downloaded and tried to vie, Adobe reader X detects it as threat and gives errors. In preferences of Adobe Reader X under General tab, turn off the following option, ‘Enable Protected Mode’. Now the Adobe reader X won’t scan for errors and malicious content. It will treat every pdf document equally. But doing it again risks your system being vulnerable to threats.

This problem is regarding improper updating process conducted in a system. If you had any older version of Adobe Reader in your system and then you just overwritten the update patch, it sometimes fails to update many components of the previous version. For Example in my case, I had Adobe Reader 9 in my system which I had updated to Adobe Reader X. Every component was updated except for the File Handling options. You too can see if every component of your updated version has been updated or not.

To solve the problem of File Handling that has not been updated, follow the steps,
    1) Go in the Preferences of Adobe Reader X.
    2) Under the General tab, select the default PDF handler.
    3) If by default it is Adobe Reader (10.0) then it is fine.
    4) If anything else than this, find in the list if Adobe Reader (10.0) is available or not.
    5) If available change to Adobe Reader (10.0).
    6) If not available, you will need to again update or re-install Adobe Reader X.
    7) Now it will prompt for permission to change settings. Click Yes.
    8) Restart you system.
    Things should work fine if the issue is related to PDF handling.