Thread: Scam Emails regarding Adobe Reader releases

Scam Emails regarding Adobe Reader releases

I received an email saying that a new version of Adobe Reader is now available for purchase. It was noted that many new features have been added and how easy to use it was. When I clicked on the link provided, it took me to some other website that was not related to Adobe in anyway. I visited Adobe’s official website to confirm about any new release but nothing was available regarding Adobe reader updates or new version on adobe’s website. I didn’t download anything from the suspicious website, but again did anyone else get the similar email?

Re: Scam Emails regarding Adobe Reader releases

Yes I too received an email saying that a new Adobe Reader 2012 version which has been updated was available for purchase the new features that were listed were,
    • Collaborate across borders.
    • Create rich, polished PDF files from any application that prints.
    • Ensure visual fidelity.
    • Encrypt and share PDF files more securely.
    • Use the standard for document archival and exchange.

Then it had a link for downloading the new version. It boasted of enhancing the work quality and productivity. But later I realized that it was a scam.

I actually clicked on the link. To say, I fell for the scam. Didn’t provide any details of mine, but still the effects were bad. As soon as I clicked on the link, some malicious worm in form of cookie got downloaded in my system. Hopefully, the antivirus software that I use detected it as a worm and eliminated it. This is just the bad part of the scam; the link actually was sort of contact harvester. It sent the same email to every contact in my list.

Adobe had posted a warning on their website regarding this email. I suppose this email had reached numerous people in the world. Adobe had warned to be cautious of any email message offering Adobe products using the Adobe brand name. They had noted that they never send emails regarding downloads of any of their software. If any email is sent then it is about asking the users to check out the new features of upcoming or latest softwares. They never offer direct downloads via email messages.

Adobe has also warned that if anyone receives such email which seems to be sent by Adobe but offers downloads to softwares that have not yet been officially been released, then one should delete the email without clicking on any link. One should also update their security system that is protecting their systems to avoid such threats in future.

I received this email once and as soon as I read the offer, I suspected that something is wrong. So I sent the screen shot of the email to Adobe for inquiry. Adobe replied saying that they knew the recent threat hat is being circulated around on internet via email services. They are working on stopping it from the source. Till then they are working on reaching maximum people to warn them about this scam. I am sure that Adobe will figure out some way to stop it soon.