Thread: Hebrew Spellchecker in Microsoft Office 2003

Hebrew Spellchecker in Microsoft Office 2003

I seem to have lost my Hebrew Spellchecker from my Word 2003. I tried a repair from the CD to no avail. According to the Installation disk, Proofing Tools are installed for English, Spanish, and French. It does work for English. How can this function just disappear?

Janet

re: Hebrew Spellchecker in Microsoft Office 2003

Can you try to uninstall and then again reinstall the word 2003 rather than repairing it and checking if the Hebrew Spell checker comes back again. I think that the list of languages in the Install New Dictionaries wizard are the languages for the interface of the wizard, not the language being installed.

Einstein:

I did a full Word reinstall.

I was not referring to dictionaries. I referred to Proofing Tools. If you do an advanced install, you can choose what elements you want installed. My system already had Proofing Tools checked for the three languages mentioned. There were no other language options to install or repair.

I think that you will need to download the Office 2003 Service Pack 3 (SP3) for Multilingual User Interface Pack from here.

James:

I dl'ed the file and tried to install, but to my surprise, I got a window which said "The expected version of the product was not found on your system"! I went to check my WORD, and it is MS Office Word 2003 SP3.....In any case, I do not have/want Hebrew in the interface. Just for occasional typing in Hebrew. I can't imagine why I had the spell checker before and not now....

You can use the Office XP Service Pack 3 full-file update to update your administrative installation point or an individual computer (client) that has Office XP installed. For more information go to this website: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/832671

Are you saying to put an XP Service Pack on a Windows 7 computer?? Is it known that this SP adds multilanguage proofing tools? Will it only affect Office?

I have a single computer used by one person.

You need the right service pack to get back the spellchecker in your office version. I tried to find some links on web and landed on the below. This link provide a download for Office 2003 Proofing tool. Download and run this and check back that you can find the Hebrew Spellchecker back on your system. Second thing you can try first adding hebrew dictionary or language pack in your system. After that it might work.

Office 2003 Service Pack 3 (SP3) for Proofing Tools

Re: Hebrew Spellchecker in Microsoft Office 2003

Panop,

When trying to install the download from your link, I got the same surprising window I got when I tried to install MUI2003SP3-KB923618-FullFile-HEB.exe:

"The expected version of the product was not found on your system."

!!!!!!!!!

Windows 7 was not one of the os's the KB was for, but I hoped the fact that Vista was included would suffice....I just don't get where the relevant files went to, given that it worked in the past.....

I just looked up the message ("The expected version of the product was not found on your system.") and MS says:

When you try to update Microsoft Office XP to Microsoft Office XP Service Pack 3 (SP3), you receive an error message that states that the expected version was not found. To resolve this problem, install the full-file version of Office XP SP3.

Upon further Googling, I believe these are all for Word 2002 (I have 2003). I don't think any kind of SP for XP works on Win 7. I think Win 7 is only compatible with Vista updates. (?)

Quote Originally Posted by Panop View Post
    You need the right service pack to get back the spellchecker in your office version. I tried to find some links on web and landed on the below. This link provide a download for Office 2003 Proofing tool. Download and run this and check back that you can find the Hebrew Spellchecker back on your system. Second thing you can try first adding hebrew dictionary or language pack in your system. After that it might work.

Office 2003 Service Pack 3 (SP3) for Proofing Tools
    OK. I have it all figured out now ......

The link you gave me is to a service pack for the Proofing Tools, not for the Proofing Tools themselves! The needed download is the Microsoft Office 2003 Multilingual User Interface Pack (MUI Pack). The Hebrew bit is on CD5 (there are six in all), and is file 1037 (each CD has a bunch of files xxxx, each being for a different language). It all installed fine and now works as before. The service packs were included in the download.

If anyone reading this thread needs help, feel free to contact me via the thread.

BTW, the MUI Pack is not necessarily for the UI (mine is English). It is also for foreign language spellcheck, thesaurus, dictionary, etc.--all included.
    Last edited by janetb; 27-03-2012 at 10:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by janetb View Post
    OK. I have it all figured out now ......

The link you gave me is to a service pack for the Proofing Tools, not for the Proofing Tools themselves! The needed download is the Microsoft Office 2003 Multilingual User Interface Pack (MUI Pack). The Hebrew bit is on CD5 (there are six in all), and is file 1037 (each CD has a bunch of files xxxx, each being for a different language). It all installed fine and now works as before. The service packs were included in the download.

If anyone reading this thread needs help, feel free to contact me via the thread.

BTW, the MUI Pack is not necessarily for the UI (mine is English). It is also for foreign language spellcheck, thesaurus, dictionary, etc.--all included.
    Hello if you're still here after 2 years I'd love some advice with the same problem - I have windows 7, downloaded the MUI but can't install them. What I need is the Hebrew speller and translator tool but I don't mind having all the languages installed, but each time I try to install them it says "can't find the necessary version" it's maddening.

Would much appreciate quick help...

thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Lilac12 View Post
    Hello if you're still here after 2 years I'd love some advice with the same problem - I have windows 7, downloaded the MUI but can't install them. What I need is the Hebrew speller and translator tool but I don't mind having all the languages installed, but each time I try to install them it says "can't find the necessary version" it's maddening.
    If the Office version that you have doesnt has the proofing tools for Hebrew, then you will need to get that tools or other third party speller. You can type in Hebrew in Word without the tools but not with the spell check. For more information, visit this website - http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/wo...CH063551761033

I see thank you very much and sorry I haven't answered sooner.

It is strange that they say that Hebrew proofing tools are only available on enterprise, I think the fully hebrew-enabled professional version should include the proofing tools.

thanks for the link....