Thread: Breathing noise in Audacity Recordings

Breathing noise in Audacity Recordings

Recently for a school project I have recorded a rap song using Audacity. I audio file has file has been created and now during the playback I am hearing distracting and annoying sound. The whole recording is same. It sounds like I am just breathing. I tried the noise removal option but couldn’t able to get rid of the sound. I think that I should concern some other software for recording.

Re: Breathing noise in Audacity Recordings

You are likely too close to the microphone while recording and you're popping. This kind of sound cannot get removed easily during the post production but I suggest you with a High Pass Filter. If there is too much damage during the pop, in that case that also not going to work. You should look for a first class filter. This is what commercial recording studios find the solution for your problem.

I know that there is no option for this now but for filter usage the "re-shoot" filter is the best option.
    Here what you have to do with your recordings:
    • Massively decreasing the pops with a "limiter".
    • High pass filter.
    • Amplification.
    • Manually decreasing a couple of the bad pops.

Here are some tips to avoid noise or reduce noise level.
    • Avoid blowing on the microphone.
    • Do not save the recording directly as MP3 if possible. Due to poor MP3 encoding, you may lose the sound quality
    • If you really want to record in MP3, make sure to use a higher quality setting, or make the track mono before exporting.

I think that there are 2 ways to reduce the breathing or noise level.
    • First, in order to prevent the breathing sound from mic, you may try tying a bit of cloth to the mic head.
    • If you can hear loud breath sound on recording, you can copy a few milliseconds of silent background sound and paste it over the breath sound or simply remove those external sounds completely by the help of good sound editor.

Before you start recording you must make sure that you are in a quiet room or environment. Also make sure that the external speakers are turned off while recording. This will avoid the acoustic feedback in your audio recording. Next thing you have to consider is about the microphone. The microphone should be good enough for microphone. So it is always recommended to buy a quality model. Do not close to the microphone when speaking. At least keep a half inch (1-2 cm) distance to avoid breathing noise.

After starting Audacity , open the file with the recording. With the selection tool, make a small piece of silent sound file. To do this, it should be an interval before starting to talk and a taillight. The selection tool is selected in the top left of the window and corresponds to a symbol resembling a capital "I". Then mark with the mouse the beginning of the silent interval. Then, drag the mouse to the right until the end of the silent interval. For the program identifies the silence marking, go to the "Noise Removal" (delete or remove noise) from the menu "Effect" (effects). In the window that opens, click the "Get Noise Profile" (get noise profile). Now check the area where you want to remove noise. With the selection tool to mark the start and drag the mouse to the right until the end. Finally, back to the "Noise Removal" from the "Effect". Set the filter level to a minimum (Less) to prevent distortion and click on the "Remove Noise".

It is not uncommon to have a slight breath-taking voice. There are some plugins which can be used carefully and sparingly as it can distort the voice by making it more cloudy and distant. Often you can correct the problem with a recording. Personally, I often put a single sock on my microphone because the windshield too thick also tends to disturb the sound.

Did you try the VoxForge with the Audacity in Windows? As far as I know that this VoxForge can collects speech audio at the highest Sample Rate. This rate is what your sound card support of capable of (up to a Sampling Rate of 48kHz, at 16 Bits Per Sample). To know about your sound card, just take a look into the manual. Next thing is, in Audacity, check the Project Sampling Rate and Sample Format in your Preferences. Go the 'Quality' tab:
    • Set 'Default Sample Rate Format' to 48000Hz;
    • Set 'Default Sample Format' to 16-bit.
    • Move to the 'Audio I/O' tab: Set 'Channels' to 1 (Mono).
    • Next choose 'File Formats' tab: Set 'Uncompressed Export Format' to WAV (Microsoft 16 bit PCM).
    • Click OK to save your settings.

Now re-start Audacity to effect changes. Look at Project rate selector, it must be now 48000.