Thread: Audacity stopped working after installing FL Studio

Audacity stopped working after installing FL Studio

Recently I have installed the latest version of FL Studio. After this I have noticed the audacity does not work any longer. Whenever I try to launch the audacity, it shows me an error message:
    Exception EAccessViolation in module FL Studio VSTi (Multi).dll at 00018906
    Access violation at address 04018906 in module 'FL Studio VSTi (Multa).dll'. Read of address 00000008
    I have searched over some forums regarding this problem but nothing came up. It seems to me that somewhat audacity is trying to load a dll file from fl studio and may be due to this it is crashing at start up. Is there any help from your side?

Re: Audacity stopped working after installing FL Studio

When I also got the same problem, someone told me that I need to install a nightly build of audacity and after that I need to disable the automatic VST plugins load feature. I tried this but it didn’t help at all. I don’t think that audacity trying to get the DLL file from the fl studio. I would try renaming the folder or file and see if it can help.

I heard that this is a known issue with Audacity and I think that it has been fixed in new Audacity update. The new release notes say that recent Audacity Betas and 2.0.0 alpha might be able to to ignore FL Studio VSTinstruments and you no longer need to turn off the VST support in the Effects Preferences. I know that 1.3.12 Beta is the current version but still I urge you to try the 2.0.0 alpha because it is less buggy. However Before you run 2.0.0, you need to go to Users\<your user name>\AppData\Roaming\Audacity\ (usually in C:\) and erase the file "plugins.cfg" if it is there. For this you need to enable “show hidden files and folders “ option.

Such an error can occur if either is defective in the Audacity settings or something of the sound card driver is not found. Can you still play and record sound with other programs? Possibly. It also helps to delete the Audacity settings completely and redo all from the scratch.

I don’t know much about Audacity because I have just started using it. Some may tell you that uninstalling followed by reinstalling a program solves the problem but does not necessarily all the problems. Indeed, if the program creates a profile in your session name in Documents and settings, I found that uninstallation does not necessarily remove the profile (depending on the uninstaller). So if there is a problem from the profile it does not disappear. But this may have nothing to do with your problem. Try to run the program from another session to see if you have the same problem.

I unchecked the related components in msconfig. Nothing has changed. I noticed in the Task Manager of windows with "ctrl + alt + delete" the CPU usage is 100% when Audacity is launched, hence blocking. Otherwise there is nothing more than the current task.

First of all you should uninstall the program and then delete:
    • The corresponding directory in C: \ Program Files,
    • Directory-profile which is in Application Data (hidden folder C: \ Documents and Settings \ <user name> \ Application Data \ Audacity)

After this try to install the latest version of program. It seems to me that FL studio installation might have replaced already exist DLL files of Audacity in the same directory path or may be with same name. When launching the program both programs trying to get the same DLL. In this case FL studio runs properly but Audacity not.

Did you try starting the Audacity via Console and seeing what kind of messages/info there? It seems to me that there is only one audacity stuff .audacity-data folder in your home directory. The .cfg file, among other things has not been created in your case and it doesn’t get at start up.