Thread: Is erase-protection (Macrovision) tab required for copying VHS videos to DVDs?

Is erase-protection (Macrovision) tab required for copying VHS videos to DVDs?

I have recently bought a dvd video recorder/ video cassette recorder which is capable of copying VHS videos to DVDs but then I just wanted to know if the erase-protection (Macrovision) tab required for the same task, I mean if I will have tab on it then will there be any risk of getting something copied onto the VHS??? As I am just willing to copy the dvd and nothing else, is there anyone who has an idea about it???

Re: Is erase-protection (Macrovision) tab required for copying VHS videos to DVDs?

I have recently bought a dvd video recorder/ video cassette recorder which is capable of copying VHS videos to DVDs but then I just wanted to know if the erase-protection (Macrovision) tab required for the same task, I mean if I will have tab on it then will there be any risk of getting something copied onto the VHS??? As I am just willing to copy the dvd and nothing else, is there anyone who has an idea about it???
    As far as I am aware if you will remove the tab on the video then you won’t be able to record anything on it. I also wanted to add that most of the pre-recorded VHS tapes are Macrovision protected and I don’t think that they will be get copied, this goes with the own recorded VHS tapes as well, I mean that you cannot copy them as well. Hope that helps.

Re: Is erase-protection (Macrovision) tab required for copying VHS videos to DVDs?

I think that I can help you out here, as you are already having a DVD Recorder all you need is Grex for transferring VHS media to DVD, I am aware that the macrovision will not be allowing you to get good copies of the VCR but then trust me Grex acts as a macrovision remover. I have bought the same and have been using it from 3 months and it is just working out great for me, just check out the same and see if you are liking it as well or not. Best of luck.

I wanted to share that you can get a DVD RED Pro which is to be plugged in the RCA video out of the VHS as well as in to the video IN of the DVD, it is capable of removing any macrovision as well as other protection. I have checked out the Grex and it uses SVideo in order to provide a better quality but then the vhs that you might be having is not 4 heads then I don’t think that there will be any quality difference, just check it out and then let me know what you think about the same.