Thread: Audacity takes long time to start

Audacity takes long time to start

I have installed Audacity 1.3 on my MacBook Pro. It has Mac OS-X installed in it. When I start Audacity in my macbook pro, it takes long time to start as compared to time required to start in my friend’s computer with Windows XP. I matched the splash screen of both systems while launching to see. I noticed that in my Macbook, it takes time to load VST plug-ins which does not load in Windows XP. Can anyone help me with this issue?

Re: Audacity takes long time to start

The VST effect that is being shown during loading in your macbook is the same content by name as Waves Plug-in in Windows XP. You can disable the VST effects if you don’t need them and again enable them when need arises. In preferences, go in effects section and uncheck the VST which is found under ‘Effects Section’. This sometimes happens when during installation; Audacity places VST effects in different location from its default position. Due to this Audacity takes long time to locate them.

It is a known thing that Audacity and Mac OS don’t go well when it comes to stability. Even the past versions of Audacity had been reported with various problems while operating in Mac OS. I too had an old Macintosh with snow leopard running on it. It too gave problems when it I needed to use Audacity. Disabling plug-ins and other such resource consuming components didn’t either help me that time. That time, it used to take 30 seconds for Audacity to load. If compared with Windows, it would take 10 to 15 seconds to load.

I too am a regular user of Audacity. I have used it many times on Mac OS. In my experience, Audacity 1.2.6 was the most stable version to run on Mac OS. It never crashed or slowed down. One cannot just blame Audacity to be responsible for slowing down during startup. As the hardware improved so did the software increased its quality to match up with hardware. This has led to rise in mismatch of compatibility in systems. As the need of industry increased, the developers had to increase the functions being provided in Audacity. This has also led to incompatibility in softwares.

You can find the VST plug-ins in /Library/Audio/Components/. If they are not present here and still audacity is detecting, then you need to search where they have been placed. If found, move them into the specified folder. This won’t reduce much of the loading time. If it takes 20 seconds to load then, after doing this, the time may get reduced to 16 seconds.

I am using Audacity 1.3 in Mac OS myself. It takes 15 seconds in my system for it to load. I don’t have VST plug-ins. I have installed some other audio plug-ins though. Most of the plug-in are in AU format. So I can conclude that VST plug-ins is not alone responsible for the problem regarding slow loading. I think there is something wrong with Mac Os or Audacity that is creating problem. Many times, during launch Audacity fails to find the AU plug-ins and a notice pops up asking me to kip its search and continue to launch other components.