Thread: Unable to install FFMPEG after installing Audacity 1.3.14

Unable to install FFMPEG after installing Audacity 1.3.14

Already installed audacity 1.3.14 on my Mac laptop with mac 10.6.8 running in it. Now the issue is that I am unable to locate the FFmpeg file. Once using the locate function under the FFmpeg import export library section when I tried to locate FFmpeg file I received the message:

Location of 'libmp3lame.dylib':
    /usr/local/lib/audacity/libmp3lame.dylib

Hey is there anyone who can probably help me out with this issue. I am totally a non technical person, so please help me out with locating the FFmpeg file.

Re: Unable to install FFMPEG after installing Audacity 1.3.14

Location of 'libmp3lame.dylib':
    /usr/local/lib/audacity/libmp3lame.dylib
    Hey I guess according to me the windows should have asked you for the libavformat.52.dylib file. You know I have audacity version 1.3.13 running on my MAC system, and the best thing is that it however always ask for the correct file i.e. libavformat.52.dylib file and not the one which you have mentioned.

You could try to change the name of the file from /usr/local/lib/audacity/libmp3lame.dylib to /usr/local/lib/audacity/libavformat.52.dylib. hope that would somehow work out. If that doesn’t work then for sure there’s a bug in your version 1.3.14.

For your kind information let me tell you that one driver is for MP3 export and the other one is for FFMpeg format conversion, so now it’s only you who could probably let us know what exactly your need is . But I guess there no such issue in getting the driver and audacity 1.3, you could easily get both of them from the same place. The driver should be able to launch their own installer and then find the installed folder by their own self. drivers and Audacity 1.3

let me tell you that there have been problems with the last two release of OS X, actually the location of the LAME and FFmpeg installers that are offered and install to /usr/local/lib/audacity/ is often locked out by Apple. There are chances that the installers that install to /Library/Application Support/audacity/libs can be offered some time.
    Therefore the installer where you get should be able to install to usr/local/lib/audacity/ unless anyone has changed the FFmpeg installer without letting you know. I guess you could probably get the installer from here

For your kind information let me tell you the possible things which I have tried out. The first thing is that I did installed the file FFmpeg, then I ran the install program and all the files were in /usr/library/program support/audacity/.

I also went in the audacity preference menu and scroll down into “Libraries”, over there its asked me for two different libraries, and at the top there I got the MP3 Library of version 3.98.2. and if click on the MP3 library a new widows is popped up titled “Locate Lame”. Over here in this windows Audacity needs the file limp3lane.dylib, and the path shown is /usr/local/lib/audacity/limp3lame.dylib.

The next section where I checked is FFmpeg Import/Export Library. When I clicked on that library “Locate button” the new windows is up with title “Locate FFmpeg In this window”. The path shows up /usr/local/lib/audacity/libmp3lame.dylib.

Just for now can you try out the following thing:
    • Go to ~/Library/Application Support/audacity/, that is, the Library in your home folder
    • save the "audacity.cfg" file as "audacity.txt"
    • Then upload it using "Upload attachment” and post it

• Click Help > Show Log... click Log > Save... and attach the log in the same way

Let me tell you that there might be a text “Audacity needs the file 'libmp3lame.dylib' to import and export audio via FFmpeg” that appears, which in turns doesn’t makes any sense. The path that is shown should always be one of the default path /usr/local/lib/audacity/libavformat-52.dylib, this would be the default until the audacity is shown another path to libavformat-52.dylib.

You could probably use the following zip file for the FFmpeg which I have attached below:
    Attachment
    once you download it, just extract the "libavformat-52.dylib" file into the folder where you have installed the audacity. After this try to browse and open the dylib file, you can get it using the "Locate FFmpeg" dialogue. And if this trick doesn’t work then just exit the audacity and then open the audacity.cfg and then try to change the value of the "FFmpegLibPath" to audacity installation folder location with /libavformat-52.dylib at the end of the location.

Better you first quit Audacity and use the Go button in order go to ~/Library/Application Support/audacity/ using a finder. Now here if you see the ffmpeg files like ffmpeg, the gpl-v3.txt and eight other lib files, better delete them. Now better you paste it in the audacity.cfg which you would have renamed as suggested above. Also overwrite the old audacity.cfg if you are asked to do so.

Now you are suppose to launch audacity and also see to it that you could point "Locate FFmpeg" to libavformat-52.dylib by getting into the Audacity installation directory.

Let me tell you one more thing, If you have never quit 1.3.14 or any other earlier 1.3 version on that system the audacity.cfg would never exit. But for now have a .cfg that is very much new.