Thread: How convert VHS cassette Audio to mp3

How convert VHS cassette Audio to mp3

There are several VHS cassettes which contains recorded interviews. I would like to record or convert those audio to my computer as an mp3 file. How can I do it? Should I need to buy a special device or something?

Re: How convert VHS cassette Audio to mp3

Copy VHS tapes to PC requires an external enclosure that supports "hardware" encoding in digital from the original analog film and a USB connection (by relieving the CPU of the computer) to the computer. I refer you to use a reliable hardware and Dazzle as widespread and as the standard "video DVD creator platinum "other models more or less rich in features and software may also be suitable for you but check the features and what you need.

To do this, you need specific software.

I use Magix Audio Cleaning Lab 2003. This software allows you to scan cassette and vynil and convert audio files (wav to mp3 for example). There are others on the market, generally a little more expensive, I think.

Usually I use a cable with 2 RCA male (red and white) at one end for connection to the output of the VHS and a stereo mini-jack 3.5 "at the other end that goes into the Audio-In port of the sound card (or in some cases Aux-In port if you do not have the Audio-In). The Sound Recorder program Windows XP saves in. WAV which demands lot of disk space. I use Audacity which is free and has many features to edit audio formats and export more efficient.

In the case of audio, the task is relatively simple. First we must connect the stereo with cassette or the turntable to the PC. We will use the audio output of the speakers, headphones or a secondary exit (also known as Line Out) to get to the line input of the computer (Line In). It is a blue connector, and is present in all modern audio cards. The PC also has another outlet rose to the microphone, but is ready to record weaker signals and does not offer the same range of sensitivity than conventional line input.

Ideally, you can record audio with the best quality. There is always time later to turn that recording into an MP3 file. Remember that in that case there will be a loss of quality as the original fidelity. It can be seen if mp3 is encoded to less than 160 Kbps. you can use FLAC or WMA lossless formats for not losing a bit of information, but results in a much larger file. In the case of CD-quality WAV, one hour of recording will take about 650 MB of data.

The Sanyo MCD-760EN ($ 459.99) digitizes the audio from a cassette and records it as MP3 on a USB key or memory card. There are also USB vinyl trays, such as those manufactured by Ion-audio, which offers dual USB cassette deck.

If you would like to convert VCR or VHS to mp3, there are possibly 2 ways:
    • First of all install a TV tuner card on your PC. Connect the cable to the Sound card. You have to make use of Windows Movie Maker to preview the program and it must be to WMV, and then extract the file to mp3.
    • If there is an audio on the VCR, connect it to Line In of the sound card, using the Easy MP3 Sound Recorder, you can record audio to mp3.