Thread: Aperture import RAW files as JPG and RAW file

Aperture import RAW files as JPG and RAW file

I own trial version of Aperture 3 and I am confused with its importing method. Right now I am shooting the images only as RAW. I don’t wanna shoot in RAW+JPEG since it will eat up much storage space. I can import all photos to iPhoto and no issue at all. However if I import same photos into Aperture 3, it will import as RAW and JPEG version of the same photo. That means it actually imports 2 photos. I don’t want this and somehow I need to disable this before importing the entire library. Is there any way around?

Re: Aperture import RAW files as JPG and RAW file

I think that it is not possible. I looked into the Aperture tools so far and in trail version I didn’t get any tools to do this. The actual case is, the Aperture treats RAW and JPEG file as a single master file and there will not be separation among this master. The software will not allow you to do anything. However you can create new master as JPEG and you can delete them but it will not delete the original JPEG those still combined with the RAW file.

There is no a direct way to do this in Aperture but you can find a work around. It is will not be an ideal solution but you can try. In my case I have configured the external editor within iPhoto as Aperture. Now it only imports single raw file. For more advanced settings, you should buy the full version software.

The photographer always want to shoot RAW + JPEG. By the help of this, they can send low resolution files first and then only import matching low resolution RAW images. This will help you to speed up an initial workflow and saves lots of disk space.

You must be shooting in Raw + JPEG and the Aperture might be set to use master JPEG only. I know that this is the default settings but if you look into the menu and import, you will other options also. There you can set Raw as Master.

There is a better way and that is import all at once in a single folder and set the Aperture to separate the masters so that RAW and JPEG images will not be paired. Now when you look into your project images will show up as separate to each other. If the RAW and JPEG files are paired when importing via Aperture, you will not able un-pair them late and also you cannot delete them individually. Either you have to keep them both or delete both. Smart Folder filtering is also not applicable here.

While importing you have to choose "Both (Separate Masters)" in the RAW+JPEG Pairs.

There is an easiest solution and that keep them paired with the JPEG as Master. You don’t have to delete JPEG files. They will not take much hard drive space. Otherwise you will have to expel JPEGs and capture only RAW images.

I have solution for you. Try it and it may work:
    • First of all make a new empty Library.
    • Go to Lightroom main menu Lightroom > Preferences (Mac OS).
    • Now you will see General preferences page. There unselect "Treat JPEG Files Next To Raw Files As Separate Photos".
    • Import all files (you can also create subfolder and tell to”move“New location.
    • The JPG files which with RAW files will be left along in original location to remove.