Thread: How to Import Layered TIFF File using iPhoto

How to Import Layered TIFF File using iPhoto

Recently I have switched from Windows PC's to a MacBook Pro and iMac. I did this because I need Mac for photography. I started to use Mac features one by one. The iphoto shows me a problem with the image which I tried to import. It was actually a TIFF layered image. The image was actually created on Windows PC using Photoshop. The iphoto seems importing the image but only the one part of the original image and everything else is black. The original image size is c340MB. When I flatten it, I got c65MB. If I import it, I only get it as unflattened image. The JPG format appears correctly. I am really confused now. What do I do?

Re: How to Import Layered TIFF File using iPhoto

I think that all you need a good program in Mac other than iPhoto which can handle Photoshop images. It seems to me that the iphoto is not capable to handle the Photoshop images. For this you may use the GIMP in order to view images and convert them to whatever format as you want. I don’t use the iphoto much because I have noticed that it cannot handle layered Photoshop files.

Whatever you are telling is true and I really doubt about the iphoto capability now. I don’t think that it will no longer compete with the Photoshop. c340MB is a big file.

What are your system specs?

Did you try importing the image on by one?

If you convert the image to JPEG, then I don’t think that it will be a problem

Are you getting any kind of message when you import it?

You have to go through the permissions on those files as well as the iPhoto Library folder. You manually set the Permissions to iPhoto Library Folder as described below
    • First of all choose iPhoto Library folder and type Command-I.
    • Info window comes up. There you should go to Ownership and Permissions
    • There make sure that you have Read & Write permission and others have - Read Only.
    • At last click on "Apply to enclosed items..." button.

It seems to me that the TiFF format is cannot be imported from the iPhoto. I think you should convert it to the Photoshop format, with alpha channel. After that you can see whether it will import or not. You will not lose anything with Photoshop format. But before that don’t forget to make a duplicate copy of the image and get rid of alpha channel. If it still won’t import, then you should go for some alternative solution since I don’t have one now.