Thread: Is it possible to take a screen shot of virtual machines while being in OS X

Is it possible to take a screen shot of virtual machines while being in OS X

I have been facing problem with the virtual machine, actually I am getting a blue screen during XP loading and I am not able to read the error message as it disappears quickly, I have tried using mac os x in order to take a screen shot of the vm window but then the vm window stays black, I wanted to know if there is any solution to take a screen shot of the windows desktop or pause the error so that I can make a note of it??

Re: Is it possible to take a screen shot of virtual machines while being in OS X

I have been facing problem with the virtual machine, actually I am getting a blue screen during XP loading and I am not able to read the error message as it disappears quickly, I have tried using mac os x in order to take a screen shot of the vm window but then the vm window stays black, I wanted to know if there is any solution to take a screen shot of the windows desktop or pause the error so that I can make a note of it??
    Yes you can do in the same way in which we do for the mac:
    • Apple-Shift-4 and then select the area you want to take a snap
    • Apple-Shift-3 will take the screen shot of the whole screen

Just try it out and then let me know if you are able to do it so.

Re: Is it possible to take a screen shot of virtual machines while being in OS X

I did not understood what problem you are having and why are you not able to take a screen shot of the same, anyways you can just boot into windows safe mode and after that just change the behavior so that it does not reboot on a major system error, if you want then you can try out the same and see if it is helping, I have been using vm as open but then I have not yet missed any error or without taking a screen shot of the same.

I have a different solution for you, just when you guest powers on then just click on the window in order to se foucs and after that click on the F8 key after the BIOS POST in order to get the Windows boot menu and ten just select the option "Disable automatic restart" and after that let the system boot. Now when it will reach the bsod error then it will sit there and wait and you can read out what is it and make a note of the same as well. Hope that helps.

I have tried out the above solution and here is the result that I have got:
    • Using OS X keys- I have tried using OS X key combination but then the vm windows is still staying black so that solution will not work.
    • I have tried out the F8 key but then I was having problems with the F/ F5 keys and they did not worked properly in the vm, so I won’t be able to try out your solution as well.
    • Is there any solution that I can try out, I mean that can I remap the keys through the vm setting, any further help for the same will be appreciated.

You should try out turning off the F-Lock before the function keys will work and in order to do so just power on the guest and after that click in the window and then press the F-Lock key and after that press the F8 key and see if it is working, just try it out and then let me know if it is helping.

I have tried out the above solution and here is the result that I have got:

Using OS X keys- I have tried using OS X key combination but then the vm windows is still staying black so that solution will not work.
    I have tried out the F8 key but then I was having problems with the F/ F5 keys and they did not worked properly in the vm, so I won’t be able to try out your solution as well.
    Is there any solution that I can try out, I mean that can I remap the keys through the vm setting, any further help for the same will be appreciated.

Hey you can also try out the GUI application which is included with OS X and this will help you out taking the screenshots and will make the process easy as well, this app is called as "Grab." You can just check out for the Grab in the Utilities folder, if it is not there then you can download it as well.