Thread: Shared folders not working with Visual Studio 2008 installed on VMware

Shared folders not working with Visual Studio 2008 installed on VMware

I have installed virtual machine to handle some projects developed in C++ on Visual Studio 2008. To provide the code on the several virtual machine I have created shared folder at host with code. Well I am getting issue while working with Visual Studio with Shared Folder as I am getting File in Use. However issue disappears after retrying the operation. Any help on this particular matter will be appreciated.

Re: Shared folders not working with Visual Studio 2008 installed on VMware

I don’t think so the problem is associated with the Visual Studio rather then it is associated with VMware which you have installed on your computer. I noticed an issue when I am accessing or renaming large directory structure which are places in the shared folder. I have also used the command line to access or rename the folder rather using windows explorer. I think some of the buffer are keeping catalog of files which are supposed to released by shared folders service is overflowing and hence the lock on the file is never released.
    I need to disable and re enable shared folders in order to rename them.

Right now VMware Shared Folders feature is having lots of issue. IIRC Visual Studio is having the share issue with HGFS. Hence I recommend that you should not use VMware Shared Folders feature rather than you should use standard SMB/CIFS File Sharing.

I do love SMB/CIFS File Sharing. It is quite secure and faster. I am able to restrcit the access to VM to a Single folder on the host system of mine rather than it is having on the same network.

default smb.conf is did not seems to safer under Mac OS X. however there could be lots of other method to increase the security. It can be also edited and configured in really secure way. I have configure that particular file to allow the Virtual Machines to access the Mac OS X. there should be something which will allow you to get through the Firewalls and Filesystem. It will also have VMnet1 which would be the Host Only Network and it cannot be access outside of the host anyway.

I wanted to tell you that File handle closing has been solved with Visual Studio 2008 with Workstation 8.0 or Fusion 4.0 betas.. so you should get the above mentioned version software and I am hoping that it will help you out to fix the issue.

The entire problem is associated with Windows system particular with memory manager component. The Windows memory manager component which used to handle the open references to the specific files even the application has been closed all the files are handles. To make Windows memory manager to purge all the open reference is not simple to implement. It will need system feature which is called as Oplocks and it’s a remote file locking protocol.