Thread: windows live messenger won’t keep me signed in and says the password entered is incorrect when it is correct!

windows live messenger won’t keep me signed in and says the password entered is incorrect when it is correct!

I have been using windows messenger for a long time! Suddenly today it started to ask me to enter a valid username and password! i haven’t changed my username or password, whenever I enter a username or password I also click on “keep me signed in”! when I do it now It first allows me to login but when I receive a new mail and I go to check it redirects me to the page asking me for valid username and password! why does it allow me first and then ask such a question? This also means that my account is working properly and password or username is correctly! i have uninstalled and installed the messenger again and also cleared the history but it is still showing the same problem! Do you have any clues about what is wrong about my messenger?

re: windows live messenger won’t keep me signed in and says the password entered is incorrect when it is correct!

I have somehow related problem with my account also! I can sign in to my windows messenger with my saved password but if click on the other mail inbox then browser returns the page which asks for the proper username and password! If I click on sign in again then it takes me to account overview! I have experienced the same in firefox and safari browser!

re: windows live messenger won’t keep me signed in and says the password entered is incorrect when it is correct!

I had the same problem but I found the easiest way to solve this problem! I just went to my inbox page and dragged it to the browser toolbar! now whenever I see there is a new e-mail , I just click on the toolbar shortcut and it takes me to my mail inbox!

Guys I think I have found the reason behind this and it may be applicable to you!
    When I logged in to my account today and I had a option in front of me! it was saying “connect with HTTPS”. Using the facility to connect with HTTPS will save you from the hackers if you are using a shared computer or wireless network! There is an important note for you: turning on HTTPS will work for hotmail only on the web, if you will try your account from windows live application for windows mobile or on the Nokia phone or MSN Explorer then it will give you error!
    If you want temporary HTTPS connection then enter “HTTPS” in address bar instead “HTTP”. I found this when checked the address in the msn messenger inbox! It was HTTPS at the beginning of the address!

Try using these steps for trouble shooting your problem:
    Set the correct time and date in your computer!
    Now delete the messenger contacts cache folder this way:
    • for windows Vista:

1. enable show hidden files
    2. go to:C:\Users\Windows_log-on_name\Contacts and delete all the folders and files!
    3. now locate this file:
      C:\Users\Windows_log-on_name\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Live Contacts and delete all the folders!
    4. now try logging into your messenger!

• for windows XP:

1. Enable show hidden files
    2. Now you can delete the contact store from C:\Documents and Settings\Windows_log-on_name\Contacts.
    3. go to this location and delete the files available! C:\Documents and Settings\Windows_log-on_name\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Live Contacts.
    4. now close all the windows and try logging into your messenger!