Thread: Excel 2007 file fails to get permission to open in Excel 2011

Excel 2007 file fails to get permission to open in Excel 2011

HI friends recently I was trying to open the Excel 2007 file in the Excel 2011 in office Mac 2011, but however it get open there in the Excel 2011 but whenever I try to make an update there in that sheet I get the message that the file is being protected and read only. But according to my information I have not make any of the internal setting to make Excel 2007 file protected or read only file. So I just want to know why these things happen there in Excel 2011 that it fails to update the file which is created in the lower version of Excel. If you people have any ideas or any suggestion for this then please let me know. I am very much confused please help.

Re: Excel 2007 file fails to get permission to open in Excel 2011

According to my information when you are trying to open that particular document in the Excel 2011, then see that whether the message popup for the sheet that it is ‘read only document’. If yes then you have to make the changes to the permission of that file, so for that you just have to alter the file permissions. And then you should try to make the update of the table may by altering the permission for that sheet will works.

Try to open that file in Numbers, and see whether you are getting any of the message while opening that file in Number. And the alternate thing that you can do is to export and then re-opened it in excel this will works. And the thing that I know about these issues is that if the workbook contains some format which will fail to support there on the Mac Excel. So may be because of that reason the file become read-only on Mac Excel.

There may be the chances that your workbook have feature "Protect Range", so for that you have to delete "Protect Range" feature from your workbook. So it is easy to delete ‘Protect Range’ with these easy steps:
    • So for that First, Click Ribbon->Review->Changes->Unprotect Sheet. There you have to Input the password to unprotect the sheet
    • And then Click Ribbon->Review->Changes->Allow Users to Edit Ranges. There you can delete all protected ranges

I think this is sure that the sheet that you are using is 100% protected so first make the verification for the rights that you have given to that work sheet. Because the Excel is showing that the file that you are trying to open is protect, means it is sure that the file you are trying to open in Excel 2011 is protected.

According to my information, you just try to boot your laptop with windows 2007 and it will allow you to enter data into the excel sheet. And there see whether the protection is on if yes then make it off and then try to re-opened that document in excel 2011.

Even I was also getting the same issue for opening the lower version Excel sheet in to the higher version Excel sheet in my Mac OS, but when I try Windows it works fine. So maybe this is the compatible issue for such file in Mac OS.