Thread: How to setup AFP for opening Microsoft office documents?

How to setup AFP for opening Microsoft office documents?

I am having problem opening office document when I mount the AFP protocol! I have also tried rebooting the Mac but that doesn’t help me? Can anybody help me setup the AFP so that I can open my documents from it?

Re: How to setup AFP for opening Microsoft office documents?

I have been doing installation of OS X but never got this error before , I can open the documents from AFP as usual. You can report this if you have found any unusual. I have read the reports of some users on this problem on the other forums also, they say Microsoft will be creating a fix for this soon. Are you using the “home” sharing? Because this is the problem with most of users having home sharing and when they try to open document from Home share this problem occurs! It appears that if you move the files to other share on the synology diskstation then you can open the files. So the better way will be creating a another “home” share with no “home” in a name.

How did you setup the AFL ? did you get any errors while opening the documents? Are you able to open other documents like PDFs, text , media , image etc.? I guess it is the file sharing protocol and it should not create such problem for you! can you please tell me in detail?

see I have Mac 2011 with OS X Lion , office home and Synology diskstation on the NAS. I have also enabled the Mac support for getting the AFP protocol. When share is mounted with AFP and if I open file with open/Libre then it opens the file but if go and open the same file with Microsoft word 2011 then i receive the error which says the file is corrupt. If I copy that file and paste it anywhere in my computer and try to open it then it is possible to open it! When I use smb then I can use all of my applications to open the documents. Only solution for this is to disable the AFP but I can’t disable it because I have started the Mac support and using NAS as the backup destination with “TimeMachine” .

It may be happening because of the version of the AFP provided by the Synology is using UNIX based server system! It may not have tested properly or have something that is restricting it to open from AFP. I will also ask you to update the firmware of your diskstation.

Yes, you are right, because the diskstation is using the Netatalk to provide the AFP service which is also open source therefore it is not supported fully. I am having the problem with Microsoft office only! My office and diskstation both are updated with latest firmware update. I will now try installing the Lion setup in virtual machine and see if I can run it with AFP protocol.

When you use disk station both AFP and SMB are enabled on it by default. So if you want to use the SMB then you have to mount each share in the command. Go to the “GO” menu and select connect to server, give this address: smb//PAddress or smb//ServerName.
    Once you are connected through smb then go to its icon from dock and select the option for “connect automatically”.