Thread: Is it possible to customize status bar in Microsoft Office for Mac 2011

Is it possible to customize status bar in Microsoft Office for Mac 2011

I have been using excel on my machine from a long time and I have recently started using excel in mac, in excel for windows it was possible to get the sum, average, count, etc but then I have found that the same thing is not that simpler in mac, I mean that it gives the output for one at a time and we have to select the same from drop down menu, so I just wanted to know that is there a way to customize the same, is there anyone who can help me out??

re: Is it possible to customize status bar in Microsoft Office for Mac 2011

I have been using excel on my machine from a long time and I have recently started using excel in mac, in excel for windows it was possible to get the sum, average, count, etc but then I have found that the same thing is not that simpler in mac, I mean that it gives the output for one at a time and we have to select the same from drop down menu, so I just wanted to know that is there a way to customize the same, is there anyone who can help me out??
    I don’t think that it is possible to do the same because even I had thought of customizing it but then I have not yet got any success, I have addressed this requirement to them using the Send Feedback from the help menus but then have not yet received a response for the same ,I had found a guy mentioning a solution where he had used a VBA Event macros but then it was not actually helpful. I really don’t think that it is possible within the MacXL's user interface.

I am not very sure that it is possible to duplicate the mac status bar as that of the windows but then I think that you can customize the status Bar and in order to do so just follow the below steps:
    • First open the excel and then go in to Menu > Toolbars > Customize Toolbars and Menus after that just check out the list on right side of the window and after that just drag the status bar and then format it as you want to
    • While doing this also make sure that the formatting is shown as well in order to avoid duplication of the commands

Customizing it in this way is possible but then I don’t think that there is a solution to customize it in the way you are willing to.

Yes even I was going to say the same, I have found that Microsoft Office for Mac 2011 is a direct port of the OfficePC 2007/2010 but then here some of the features have not been added as per the MS Corporate Decisions, so I don’t think that it will be possible to customize it as per your desire until the mac comes up with the same.

As far as I am aware it is not possible to customize the Status bar by just dragging and the solution that one has mentioned about the formatting is just not related to the Status bar and I don’t think that there might be some kind of inheritance problem because of the duplicating commands. The other thing that I wanted to say is that Microsoft Office for Mac 2011 is not like direct port and the difference in feature is because of the different os, it is really not a corporate decision and so.

As far as I am aware it is not possible to customize the Status bar by just dragging and the solution that one has mentioned about the formatting is just not related to the Status bar and I don’t think that there might be some kind of inheritance problem because of the duplicating commands. The other thing that I wanted to say is that Microsoft Office for Mac 2011 is not like direct port and the difference in feature is because of the different os, it is really not a corporate decision and so.
    I completely agree to you, I mean that it is not possible to Status Bar the only thing that you can do for the Status Bar in Excel for mac is just switching it on or off and enabling and disabling the AutoCalculate feature, the solution that you have mentioned above is for customizing the Toolbars and Menus and not for the status bar, and if you are saying that it is because of the decision from the corporate and all then I would like to see the source, in order to believe the same.

Re: Is it possible to customize status bar in Microsoft Office for Mac 2011

I have migrated over to xcel 2011 after having been a power user on windows for a long time (12+ years) and dearly miss the status bar functionality that is present in the windows version. A fix to at least see the sum of selected cells is to install the solver add-in, which will then at least show the sum, average, min, max, etc. of selected cells. Not all the functionality of the full windows status bar, but at least mostly what i miss. To enable Solver, click ‘Tools’ then ‘Addins’. Within the Addin box, check ‘Solver.xlam’ then hit ‘OK’. You will then see the sum function in the new status bar.