Thread: Is it possible to decrypt jpg files

Is it possible to decrypt jpg files

Few days before my HDD was crashed and most of my data got affected due to this. After the crash I have reloaded Windows XP. But I haven’t loaded the OS into that crashed HDD but on the new one. There are few images in the JPG format on my old HDD and those I wouldn’t like to trash out. For that purpose somehow I decided to move them to the new HDD. At that time I have noticed that most of the images were encrypted and I am not able to open them at all. I need to decrypt them somehow but I don’t know how?

Re: Is it possible to decrypt jpg files

If the data is encrypted, then you can - is to clarify the decryption - just set the monitor resolution as high as possible and display the image as large as possible. Then you can do it with the Print Screen key and paste it into a graphics program as a new file.

Well, you start by record on your desktop (= easier to find when you start), received files.

Once saved, right click on a file and "open with" PAINT (It reads almost all types of extension!

Unfortunately I tried all the other Paint programs, HP Photo smart, Adobe Photoshop CS2, but nothing works.
    • Photoshop says "impossible to do this operation because of a JPEG marker unknown"
    • Paint says "this file is not a bitmap file or its format is not supported"
    • And HP says "an error has occurred"
    • IrfanView gives me the error message with the incorrect file header.

The problem seems to be that if only one byte was not read correctly, as I saved the data with Knoppix, then that decryption is also wrong, and thus the JPG is probably lost.

Can you tell us something more on the image? If you got on with the carving may have been extracted from the unallocated space and may have other garbage data in it. I have tested verifying that if the garbage data or the absence of data right, leave after a certain offset, and see (on Linux) at least part of the image. On Ubuntu I found that the better hand player also damaged images (such as nautilus and do not propose a preview) is..... Firefox! Or alternatively F-Spot.

I don’t think that they are the JPG files. Furthermore they are not recovered files, found alive and well on the PC intact, along with another steganographic files, which is why at first I thought it was a steganographic file and that it also stole my time, but I do not understand that. In my opinion it is not jpg!

Have you tried the different program to open those images files? I mean there are plenty of program which are capable to open the JPG format files. No matter what size and what resolution image you own, some programs are capable to open it without any loss. Best way is to start from the graphics programs.