Thread: MS Project Custom Report showing Group

MS Project Custom Report showing Group

Hi,

Can I create a custom report that shows a group?

I have been using a custom view (with custom tables, groups, filters etc), selecting the tasks and then using the copy picture function however I would like to cut the steps down by using a custom report.

Thanks heaps!

Ross

Re: MS Project Custom Report showing Group

Also, I have tried setting the period but it does not show the totals.

I want to group by month and I want it to show the totals (cost) of the group, as it does in the view

Bump, I still need help please

Which version of MS project you are using? Of it is 2003 or 2007 then you can try out the below steps:
    • First click on View > Resource Usage and after that Click Project > Group By > More Groups and then you will get a More Groups dialog box along with Resource option already selected.
    • Now in the dialog box just select “Assignments Keeping Outline Structure group” and after that click on the copy button, after that just enter a appropriate name and then leave the Show in Menu option like that only.
    • After that just select the Task Outline Number field and after that just click on the Insert key from the keyboard in order to enter a new blank row.
    • Now in the 1st Then By line just select the Project field and select Assignment where as for the 2nd Then By line select Assignment in the Field Type column and then click on OK and close the Group Definition dialog and then close the More Groups dialog by clicking on the Close button.

Just try it out and see if it was helping.

A bit more information from you would help:

What version of Project?
    What are you trying to group - task? resources?
    What are you grouping on?

Many standard reports do have the ability to use standard and custom groups but without more information from you, it's tough to give any useful advice.

Also, in the future, you might try posting directly to the forum for Project.

http://forums.techarena.in/microsoft-project/

Quote Originally Posted by Hollyn View Post
    Which version of MS project you are using? Of it is 2003 or 2007 then you can try out the below steps:
    • First click on View > Resource Usage and after that Click Project > Group By > More Groups and then you will get a More Groups dialog box along with Resource option already selected.
    • Now in the dialog box just select “Assignments Keeping Outline Structure group” and after that click on the copy button, after that just enter a appropriate name and then leave the Show in Menu option like that only.
    • After that just select the Task Outline Number field and after that just click on the Insert key from the keyboard in order to enter a new blank row.
    • Now in the 1st Then By line just select the Project field and select Assignment where as for the 2nd Then By line select Assignment in the Field Type column and then click on OK and close the Group Definition dialog and then close the More Groups dialog by clicking on the Close button.

Just try it out and see if it was helping.
    Thanks Hollyn, I am using Project 2003.
    I followed your explanation step by step and was able to create the groups.
    I am able to use custom groups when viewing on screen but I can not use the custom groups in a report

Quote Originally Posted by JulieS View Post
    A bit more information from you would help:

What version of Project?
    What are you trying to group - task? resources?
    What are you grouping on?

Many standard reports do have the ability to use standard and custom groups but without more information from you, it's tough to give any useful advice.

Also, in the future, you might try posting directly to the forum for Project.

http://forums.techarena.in/microsoft-project/

Thanks Julie, sorry for not providing enough information, I am using project 2003 trying to group tasks by month so that the group total shows the total cost in the summary task. As I said above, I can do this when viewing on screen but I can't apply the groups to my report.
    Was very happy to see "standard reports do have the ability to use standard and custom groups" in your reply, I can't wait to know how.

Sorry for posting in the wrong area and thanks for the link, I will use it in future

Hi,

No worries about posting to the "Windows Software" area -- the Project area just has more posts on Project and you may catch someone's eye more quickly.

In Project 2003, have you tried using the Cash Flow report set to months? That should summarize the costs of tasks per month.

Julie

Well that's interesting, a crosstab would be perfect if I could have 2 row headers eg task name and Text1. I don't suppose that is possible?

In any case thanks for introducing me to crosstab reports

You're welcome for the introduction. Unfortunately, the cross tabs are the least customizable of all reports.

You might also like the "Analyze Timescaled Data in Excel" command which would allow you to export data to excel and then modify as needed.

Ok yeah that could work to. Although there would be a heap of button clicks to get it all formatted.

I have the copy picture function as a back up but I wanted to use the reports module as it can be included in a macro.

Thanks again