Thread: Cannot Delete original User File from C drive on windows 7

Cannot Delete original User File from C drive on windows 7

Hi, i have laptop that running with the windows 7. Now i found that this windows 7 gives problem for removing file from the C drive. I simply try to remove original user file from this drive but it can't work. I already did these original user files moved from C drive to the E drive. But when i try to remove this file from C drive, it goes failure. I already logged in as a administrator account but it can't help for long time. When i try to delete this file, it shows "Folder in use: open in another program" message. What can i do to fix this problem? Thanks for any help to fix my problem.

Re: Cannot Delete original User File from C drive on windows 7

If you confirmed that the User Profile has been Moved Successfully, then use below process for removing your original user profile files from C drive. STep by step instructions is being as follows:
    • Log off of the user account and log in as a administrator.
    • Open Windows Explorer and go to the old C:\Users\(user-name) folder.
    • Right click on it.
    • Select on Delete.
    • If prompted by User Account Control, choose Yes button.
    • Then choose Continue button if you receive pop up message.
    • Finally hit the "empty Recycle Bin" by right click on it.

It works to finish removing original user profile folder from C drive. Remember one thing that it happens when you successfully moved this user files to the another drive.

Quote Originally Posted by Alfons View Post
    If you confirmed that the User Profile has been Moved Successfully, then use below process for removing your original user profile files from C drive. STep by step instructions is being as follows:
    • Log off of the user account and log in as a administrator.
    • Open Windows Explorer and go to the old C:\Users\(user-name) folder.
    • Right click on it.
    • Select on Delete.
    • If prompted by User Account Control, choose Yes button.
    • Then choose Continue button if you receive pop up message.
    • Finally hit the "empty Recycle Bin" by right click on it.

It works to finish removing original user profile folder from C drive. Remember one thing that it happens when you successfully moved this user files to the another drive.

Can you describe what was the real process that verify the user files moved to the another drive? I need such helpful process for solving my problem. I think i have not completed proper process and hence such folder in use message arrives on it. So, please describe few things about it.

Quote Originally Posted by DeepakTij View Post
    Can you describe what was the real process that verify the user files moved to the another drive? I need such helpful process for solving my problem. I think i have not completed proper process and hence such folder in use message arrives on it. So, please describe few things about it.
    Ok, correct process to move user files from C drive to another drive is being as follows:
    • If you logged in with the user account that you want to move, log it off.
    • Log on to administrator account.
    • Open My Computer, go to C:\Users\(user-name) folder.
    • Select and press Ctrl+C for Copy it to clipboard.
    • Go to E drive and press Ctrl+V to past clipboard content to this E drive.
    • If prompted, choose Continue.
    • If prompted by User Account Control, Select Yes button.
    • Then close Windows Explorer.
    • Open search box using start menu and Type regedit on it.
    • Hit search button.
    • If prompted by UAC, Select Yes.
    • In regedit, select "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList" option
    • In that Use left pane inside Profilelist key, and choose each S-1-5 key for finding the user account name and path.
    • AFter getting it, right click on ProfileImagePath and choose Modify option.
    • In the next pop up window, type recently copied user profile folder full path.
    • Select OK.
    • Now, regedit will be refer this location for getting user profile information.
    • Close your regedit.
    • Then log off with administrator account and check the user profile location by log in with this profile.

Thanks for your reply. i was drooping the regedit setting on this user profile files moving process. That's why my system gives the folder in use message. HEnce if anyone who faced such issue, can be simply try to apply the regedit window and first set the new location user profile file location. Then try to delete the user profile files from original C drive location.

One thing is sure here is that the Windows 7 will not allow deleting or rename original Admin account folder due to its security reasons. If you want to delete this folder, you need to make new admin account or use an existing admin account. Then Remove your selected user profile account. Then finally use simple user profile file remove process to fix your problem. Its even better for you.

In such conditions, you can also use the Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\User Accounts\Manage. Such manage helps to delete the user profile file on this windows 7 if you logged in as a administrator account. Hence just go for using this option and check its result. I am sure you can also catch better result.

INstead of using any complex process to move the user profile files from one location to another and delete them, you can also use different process. In that process, open Control Panel and go to User Accounts icon. It display the primary account and Guest account. SImply set the guest account as a default state. AFter setting this account as a off state, you can easily remove this user profile files from its C drive. BUt this process will be work only for guest account and not the administrator account.