Thread: WinRE (G:) Drive appeared suddenly in Windows Explorer in windows 7

WinRE (G:) Drive appeared suddenly in Windows Explorer in windows 7

I am running windows 7 on my computer and everything was working fine by now but then today I have noticed that the WinRE (G is appearing suddenly in Windows Explorer, I am aware of that it is the system drive and it is hidden in normal case,I had never seen it before and it occurred all of a sudden and After I rebooted the machine then I am just getting _ on a black screen and nothing else, is there anyone who can help me out with the same.

Re: WinRE (G:) Drive appeared suddenly in Windows Explorer in windows 7

I am running windows 7 on my computer and everything was working fine by now but then today I have noticed that the WinRE (G is appearing suddenly in Windows Explorer, I am aware of that it is the system drive and it is hidden in normal case,I had never seen it before and it occurred all of a sudden and After I rebooted the machine then I am just getting _ on a black screen and nothing else, is there anyone who can help me out with the same.
    I think that you might have altered your partition table or it might have been partitioned without your knowledge if you have used diskpart or the disk management console recently than there are possibilities that your system might have been infected with the bootkit malware which has probably corrupted your boot loader as well as partition table. The only option that I can think of now is reinstalling the windows and this will be safest as well.

Even I think the same but then if you are not willing to do the reinstallation of the os then you can also try to boot from your install media or system repair disk if you are having it and after that just reset the active partition and then reboot the loader. When you are don’t with this then you can use a anti-bootkit tool such as Hitman Pro in order to remove the remains of the bootkit components if it is there, so just check which possible solution you can try out.

Even I think the same but then if you are not willing to do the reinstallation of the os then you can also try to boot from your install media or system repair disk if you are having it and after that just reset the active partition and then reboot the loader. When you are don’t with this then you can use a anti-bootkit tool such as Hitman Pro in order to remove the remains of the bootkit components if it is there, so just check which possible solution you can try out.
    After you suggestion I have tried out the same as well, I mean that I have reinstalled the windows 7 but then unfortunately it is not making any difference in my case and I am still able to see the WinRE in the explorer and I am really running out of ideas now, Even I thought that reinstalling the windows will solve the issue but then it’s not, is there any other solution that I can try out??? Any further help for the same will be appreciated.

I will suggest you to use the below programs:
    • Malwarebytes( In order to run a full scan in the safe mode)
    • Microsoft Standalone System Sweeper( In order to scan the whole hard drive)

Just try them out and then let me know if they are making any difference or not

Before I suggest you something more about this, I just want to know the following:
    • How did you come to the conclusion that it is a WinRe partition??
    • Just check if it is a factory partition labeled System or not?
    • Just post a screen shot of the content that is in that partition

Just try to provide me with the above things so I can understand your problem better and help you with the same.

I have just now used the Malwarebytes and I have also used the Microsoft Standalone System Sweeper as well and I have made a thorough scan as well but then they have not detected any infections and the problem still exists, here is the screen shot of the content that it is having:

Ok, I think that you will have to remove the drive letter in Disk Management but then before doing the same just check it out so that you don’t have anything that you need in the partition, In order to remove the drive letter in Disk Management follow the below steps:
    • Go in to the disk management and then right click on the “WinRE partition” and then choose the "change drive letter and path." Option
    • After that go in to the change drive letter dialog box and then just select “WinRE partition” letter and then click on remove
    • When you are done with this then the WinRE partition driver letter will be hidden and you wonnt be able to access it again like the way you did for checking the contents in it while running the windows

I think that doing this will be a better option rather than deleting the drive itself, just try it out and then let me know if it is helping.

I have hidden the partition and now it is booting well without any problem, I think that your solution has solved the issue, I just remembered that I had sent my system for repair last month as I was facing bsod error and I had received my system almost after a week so I think that they might have altered the partition and I was not aware of it until I saw the WinRE partition.