Thread: MS Excel 2010 spreadsheet is appearing too large

MS Excel 2010 spreadsheet is appearing too large

I am having a Dell Latitude D620 which is running on Windows XP Pro Version 2000 and I am using Excel 2003 SP3 and the problem that I am having is that I have created a spreadsheet that is having 7 worksheets and about 150 charts, and the charts on the other hand are having own tab as well, in short the structure and function of the spreadsheet has made the file 40MB in size and it is taking a about 4 minutes to upload the same, I don’t think that it should appear so large, is there anyone who has an idea about the same and can clear my doubts??

Re: MS Excel 2010 spreadsheet is appearing too large

I am having a Dell Latitude D620 which is running on Windows XP Pro Version 2000 and I am using Excel 2003 SP3 and the problem that I am having is that I have created a spreadsheet that is having 7 worksheets and about 150 charts, and the charts on the other hand are having own tab as well, in short the structure and function of the spreadsheet has made the file 40MB in size and it is taking a about 4 minutes to upload the same, I don’t think that it should appear so large, is there anyone who has an idea about the same and can clear my doubts??
    I think that the file size might be so much because of the charts that you are having, they have made the file too large and that’s why it is taking a long time to open it up, if you don’t have any much problem in reducing the charts than just try it out and then see if it is making any difference, if not then I will like to know the system specification of the system that you are using, just perform the above trick and then let me know what you get.

Hey I have tried out reducing the charts to the extent that was possible foe me but then it is not making much difference and it is taking almost the same time that it used to take to open the file, my system specification is as followed:
    • Windows XP Pro Version 2000 sp2
    • Intel Core 2 at 998 Mhz
    • 2 GB ram

Is there a need to upgrade the hardware and so??

I don’t think that there is actually a need to upgrade the hardware but then I think that the problem might have arose because of the cell formatting going out of control, you can try out the below solution:
    • First find the last column with data of each sheet
    • After that just select all the columns and then click on EDIT > CLEAR > ALL
    • Once you are done with the above then just find the last ROW with data and then repeat the above clear process again.
    • Make sure that you are doing the same for all the sheets
    • Once you are done with all the sheets that just save the file and then close it and open it again

Just try it out and then let me know if it is making any difference or not.

Hey thanks for the same, that appears quite sensible and I will try out the same as well but then I just wanted to know that should I wipe all the colors, grid-lines, etc and just stay with the data formats such as decimal places, date formats and all??? I am not very sure that it will work out for the issue that I am having but then I just wanted to know if it would work, any further help for the same will be appreciated.

I really don’t think that there is a need to remove the formatting that you have been using so far, I will like to add that this type of issue where file goes large appears because if the formatting and conditional formatting where they expand themselves more than the work area, I think that trying out the CLEAR ALL method will be a better idea in your case, just do the same and then let me know if it is helping you or not.

Hey I have tried out your solution and I was having some problem with the rows as they were just not un-hiding themselves but then later, I found the actual cause of this issue, in my case I had faced a copy-and-paste snafu and because of which 2 to 3 columns of copied formulas were sitting on the one of the worksheets, so I just deleted the formulae that I don’t require and now the file is opening without any such issues, and it is just getting uploaded within 10 seconds and so, anyways thanks to you for your help as well, I really appreciate it.

Hey I have tried out your solution and I was having some problem with the rows as they were just not un-hiding themselves but then later, I found the actual cause of this issue, in my case I had faced a copy-and-paste snafu and because of which 2 to 3 columns of copied formulas were sitting on the one of the worksheets, so I just deleted the formulae that I don’t require and now the file is opening without any such issues, and it is just getting uploaded within 10 seconds and so, anyways thanks to you for your help as well, I really appreciate it.
    Good that you have found the cause of the issue and have solved the same as well, you should have mentioned that earlier that you had faced a copy-and-paste snafu before so I could have got a better idea about the issue that you were having, anyways what is the size of the file now??

I am glad to see it is just 6.4 mb, anyways thanks to you once again for all your help!