Thread: What is the location of Temporary Files created by Microsoft Excel

What is the location of Temporary Files created by Microsoft Excel

When Excel opens a file, it creates a temporary file in the same directory. This file disappears as soon as the Excel workbook is closed again. But what if I want these temporary files to be created in a chosen location, instead of the same directory as where my file resides?

Re: What is the location of Temporary Files created by Microsoft Excel

Are you sure it's not your antivirus software. Excel will store some temporary files in your windows temp folder--and it'll create a temporary workbook when it saves, but if that save is successful, then that workbook will disappear. MSWord does create a temporary file in that same folder. It'll start with a tilde ~ (IIRC).

Can I change this file location? The Excel files are on a NAS device. This NAS device communicates with an Antivirus Server. We do not want these temporary files to be sent to the AV server and so it would be better if the temporary files would be saved on the local machine instead of on the NAS device.

I don't know a way to change this behavior. The only work-around that I can think of is to copy the workbook to a different location, work on it there, and when done, copy it back to its real home. And another thing it is s hard coded.
    See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/150368 for Excel.

And this one on Word has a longer explanation
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/211632 (Click the where and when )

The problem is still exist. I ran into the same problem while I work with webdav(DMS) with versioning. Every time Excel wants to write this temp file and delete it after closing. I found that Excel 2007 does not make this temp file when you open an .xls or when the location is read only. In the latter situation excel will add [read only] in it's header to the file name. When I open an .xlsx, Excel 2007 just creates this temp file as soon as you open the file. Not only when you make changes or so. Indeed, the best workaround is download+reserving the file and edit it locally. After finished upload a new version. It's not what I call very user friendly.

I had the same problem and I thought I never find the file in fact I do not know why but I found in the temporary files of Internet Explorer it must be all the temporary Internet files. I opened IE and then briefly in the menu Tools / Internet Options then the temporary files in the middle and then click Settings to display the files' attention to the file will not (necessarily) the name you gave him sort by date or type, or rather by size to find it (because if you sort by type, it is difficult to find a single word document in all this mess). It should be called GetAttachement something copy it somewhere on the desktop for example to open it (otherwise it does not properly Open).