Thread: Why QuickTime 10.1 is not playing .avi or .mov file?

Why QuickTime 10.1 is not playing .avi or .mov file?

Why I am not able to play .mov and .avi file on QuickTime 10.1?Can you provide any useful instructions to get the requirement of mine? any help to fix the matter will be highly appreciated. Thanks a lot in advance.

Re: Why QuickTime 10.1 is not playing .avi or .mov file?

I wanted to know following details which could be helpful to get the root cause of the matter.
    What operating system do you running? Can you tell me about the hardware configuration of the computer? are you getting any error message while playing the .avi or .mov file on the system of yours?

Looking at the situation I wanted to tell you that if you have installed DIVX on the Mac installed. if you are having the same then you should uninstall DivX from the system.
    As far as I know DIVX codec is not compatible with the OS X Lion and it plays the Avi file on the QuickTime.

Well after going through the issue of yours I am suggesting that you should download and install Perian plugin on the system of yours. you can get the above mentioned plugin from the official website.

Hey thanks a lot for the prompt replies of yours. so far I am not having any DivX components installed on the computer and also I am using the Perian for playback. The AVI files are created by using the Visual Hub under of the Snow Leopard.
    If I am not able to get the Visual Hub to work under of the Lion then I will definitely drop making use of AVI.

I wanted to tell you something which will be useful to get the idea of the thing which you have stated over here. Well AVI is the outdated container format which is being used by the Windows users. There is need of having some additional software so that you can play the AVI file on the Mac. If I am not wrong some of the software may not be updated. I don’t think so thing will begin to work properly until and unless developers have updated QuickTime.

Just sake of try I am saying that you should reinstall the QuickTime on the system. after reinstalling the same you are not able to fix the issue then you should get the latest version of the QuickTime and install it.
    Still the issue is not supposed to solved then I am suggesting that you should clean reinstall the operating system as well as update if the updates are available for it.

If I am not wrong there could be bug issue with the QuickTime and there is need of developer to work on the same.