Thread: unable to add additional tasks/milestones to the timeline in Microsoft office project 2010.

unable to add additional tasks/milestones to the timeline in Microsoft office project 2010.

i was previously using ms 2007 and now using Microsoft office office project 2010 and being using it as for my project requirements, but found that there a was a problem occurring when i created and associated timeline for my new plan. there is no showing of the scheduled task as i made an attempt for placing an additional task and/or milestone on that timeline.through task details i made an attempt for making use of Add to Timeline' icon , but everything in vain. i further made an attempt for adding a different item as there was a quantity limitation but it did not worked in this case also. the item which was removed did gave me the opportunity to have an re addition . in this case i am unable to find the error and getting struck in between. please assist me in this thing. the re-creation of the entire timeline, is making me time consume.

re: unable to add additional tasks/milestones to the timeline in Microsoft office project 2010.

the first solution to this can be trying with some settings mentioned. there are situations where we find Timeline views getting corrupted so you can have a try by
    Try View , and then other Views , you will appear to see more Views, and then create a new Timeline view for the same. i think the following solution which i mentioned will work in your case.

re: unable to add additional tasks/milestones to the timeline in Microsoft office project 2010.

if i would concern the bug coming from , i think you should check whether multiple timelines are created or not. if this is the possible situation then you will not able able to add tasks/milestones to the original timeline that you created.

ok, you are with this bug now, but i am actually confused whether it will cause an error of your kinds or not. but according to me, ou will face problems, if it appears as a recognized' bug by MS. i cant say definitely about it yet. firstly i made an attempt for re-creating a timeline that was rather large and complex and answer in an negative way. after this negative answer i was "dragging" the task back into the timeline. but it came to my notice that by doing this it worked. therefore i continued to do this, adding/removing tasks to that specific timeline . you may get a clue or hint in this case as it solved for me, and hope it helps in your case also.

i found some solution to this issue and hope it helps you. you van have a try by deleting all the timelines which you will find in the View << Other view << More views << Organize and then recreating them. but in this case there is a but obvious need of rebuilding the whole timeline or can say timelines.

there are several cases where it will work. this kind of issue may be arising due to the template used to create the project. so make sure of the template for your project. if initially the problem occurs , it will last up till end. make sure that you don't create a default template which was used by previous project . after noticing the fact change it. you should then try by moving tasks to a new project and adding to timeline. in this case it will definitely work.

I am unable to add new ones, but after removing or re-adding tasks already in the timeline. i was able e to do so. after this i made a install of office-kb2075992-fullfile-x86-glb.exe and it worked in my case. this trick did helped me out of it. al so here i can say that the problem might be appearing which relates to the older versions of project schedules and templates.it will work fine in the case if you make use of 2010 templates or have a try of copying the content into new document

hi guys, i was of the similar issue and if you make use of custom color formatting in the microsoft gantt chart and GANT table, it came to my notice that the timeline does not work in this case. just try with the formatting the timeline and it will work in your case.