Thread: How to Prevent FileVault Volume from mounting in Mac OS X Lion

How to Prevent FileVault Volume from mounting in Mac OS X Lion

With the new Lion FileVault full disk encryption, is there a way to stop a partition (no boot) mounting at boot / login and request a password to unlock it?

Re: How to Prevent FileVault Volume from mounting in Mac OS X Lion

I should also add, I tried these steps did not work. I was able to find the UUID, create the fstab file (in the startup volume), and keep the line no auto, but after a reboot I was prompted to access even after entering the password to unlock the FileVault volume.

Looking at the records, it appears that corestoraged is responsible.

Code:
    11/11/26 1:40:55.493 AM corestoraged: 0x101e24960 unlockLVF: FVI = [XXXX], "AES-XTS" status = "locked" 

01/11/26 1:41:02.317 AM corestoraged: 0x101e24960 unlockLVF: FVI = [XXXX], "AES-XTS" status = "locked"

What I do is not mount or unlock FileVault partition. I'm booting with a FileVault-protected partition. together partitions are on the hard drive. Anyone here with solution than reply me

If you have a separate file system than the Mac file system, you have to investigate what type of file system you have to write instead of "hfs". For instance, if you're running an NTFS partition, you would type in "ntfs" instead of HFS.

In a nutshell. fstab is not currently in os x lion, but if you do not, it will work on the assembly of the units when it starts. Of course, you can still mount the drive via Disk Utility and have full function if desired.

Have a file called fstab.hd, but there is a note that says does not make use of it more. You have to do is generate a file called simply 'fstab' in etc .so the initial thing you should do is find your part universal unique identifier (UUID.) To do this, open Disk Utility, then click the partition in question, then info. The UUID must be labeled there. Simply copy.

Code:
    UUID=8BCD6347-4CR5-32A7-A3FB-8H35281DB30E none hfs rw,noauto

The major partition is perceptibly forever active, although ideally the secondary partition is inactive or concealed in the boot, so it no longer appears on my desktop and manually active when desirable (with Disk Utility, the line command or through an automatic backup script). For instance, I know that TechTool Pro does something similar and call the partition as "eDrive."

There are more than a few indications on this site to take away a partition on the income, nevertheless a better way for this to happen can be used. You necessitate to generate an entry point in the file system table to tell the operating system, not to show that the specific volume, and this is relatively easy. In Mac OS X, Linux and other Unix systems, the growing volume of configuration files in / etc / fstab. This file in Mac OS X Tiger is empty (in Panther, it is said), nevertheless kind of man fstab in Terminal to read some significant information.

The mount point directory is used when the volume is mounted, configured to use any pre-defined OS X directory, ie / Volumes /.

The fs type describes the type of file system, HFS using a Mac volume field options describes the mount options associated with the file system. The Auto mount the volume as usual, noauto will force the volume is not mounted automatically, and finally, the use rw or ro for a disk read and write or read only.

The UUID of a volume be able to be seen in Disk Utility (click the information button and discover the universal only one of its kind identifier), or in the terminal using this command:
    Code:
    diskutil info / path / to / disc