Thread: Acrobat 8 is not able to update windows installer and giving error code 1642

Acrobat 8 is not able to update windows installer and giving error code 1642

I am using Acrobat 8 and the problem that I have started facing is that when I am trying to update CS3 DP installed clients then I get a update request results in a pop message saying that the "There are no updates available at this time” it appears to be something like this Please note that some updates for the following products cannot be determined at this time: Adobe Updater" And as far as I remember It was a error code 1642.Is there anyone who has faced the same and has an idea about this and can help me out as well. Any help regarding this will be appreciated.

Re: Acrobat 8 is not able to update windows installer and giving error code 1642

Even I have been facing the same problem and I have tried to Google it out but then I have found that the error is actually error 162 and in order to get rid of it I have found solution such as to do a clean install on a brand new workstation but without having the Acrobat reader and just having the fabrik installed windows updates but then when I tried the same then nothing seemed to have helped. I have also tried using the combinations of older Acrobat reader 9.1 and Acrobat reader 10 as well but then I was again welcomed with the "There are no updates available at this time." I don’t know what to do know I am really out of solutions. I have tried to find a solution for it but then I have not yet came across any other solution than the one that I have tried. So if there is any other solution to solve it and anyone is aware of it then sharing it will be highly appreciated.

Re: Acrobat 8 is not able to update windows installer and giving error code 1642

I think that this is some kind of issue with the update itself because I have come across it for the first time and I have never faced these problems before. I mean it all started after I have installed 2 acrobat 8 and I am currently running win7 x64 pro and as far as I am aware I have started getting this error after installing the acrobat 8. No matter what solution I have tried by now I was getting the same message saying that the updates for adobe updater cannot be determined at this time .I have also tried to use the Win XP pro 32 bit but then I got the same result for it as well. It appears as if it is searching for a lot of updates but it is not even getting one. Any further help will be appreciated.

I have been facing the same problem since a couple of week. I have also tried getting it updated on different os and I have also uninstalled the Acrobat and have reinstalled it several times but then it is not helping in any way and I am getting the following error every time when I am trying to update it:

“There are no updates available at this time.
    Please note that some updates for the following products cannot be determined at this time: Adobe Updater.”

Previously I had never faced such problems when I was using v8 but then I am getting the above error for 8.13 update and it says something like this “The upgrade patch cannot be installed by the Windows Installer service because the program to be upgraded may be missing” .Is there any solution to get rid of it?

In this case you can follow the below steps:
    • First go to the adobe dot com and then go in to the download section.
    • And after that select the top right of the screen.
    • After that just go to the Acrobat updates and then get all the updates of your current version and then install them in a respected order.

It is the other method of updating the Acrobat if the updater does not work you can say that it is an alternate method. just try it out and then let me know whether it was helpful or not. Best of luck.

I have been facing the same problem since a couple of week. I have also tried getting it updated on different os and I have also uninstalled the Acrobat and have reinstalled it several times but then it is not helping in any way and I am getting the following error every time when I am trying to update it:
    “There are no updates available at this time.
    Please note that some updates for the following products cannot be determined at this time: Adobe Updater.”
    Previously I had never faced such problems when I was using v8 but then I am getting the above error for 8.13 update and it says something like this “The upgrade patch cannot be installed by the Windows Installer service because the program to be upgraded may be missing” .Is there any solution to get rid of it?

See I have come across the error that you have specified in the last line in some forums and the cause of this that I have found by now is because of skipping an update. I mean that when you try to download the updates from the Adobe site then you have to install the updates in the respected order as it is mentioned in the above steps and if you do not do so or skip any update mistakenly then you will get such types of error. Just check it out and then see if it is helping you out but if you get any error then just note it down so I can help you further.

I have tried to contact the Adobe rep and I have found that the Adobe no longer supports v8 and it is said to be supporting the only last two versions but when I asked them that ‘when they will get this problem sorted’ then they said that they are working on it but then they did not said about fixing this update server issue. So I think that the people who are facing this problem have finally got the cause of it. If you all want then even you all can contact them and find it out.

I have tried to contact the Adobe rep and I have found that the Adobe no longer supports v8 and it is said to be supporting the only last two versions but when I asked them that ‘when they will get this problem sorted’ then they said that they are working on it but then they did not said about fixing this update server issue. So I think that the people who are facing this problem have finally got the cause of it. If you all want then even you all can contact them and find it out.

I really don’t think so because I have been using an original Acrobat 8.0.0 installation CD and I also have the registration code for it as well and I never had any problem and it was getting installed properly and I have tried the same on different os as well and it worked well for them as well. The only problem that I had was while updating form 8.0.0 to 8.3.1 but then I was able to solve it out but then I was able to solve it out by following the above solution and I think that even if the v8 was no longer supported then updating the 8.3.1 should still be possible and it is as well.

Hey thanks for your solution I think that I had the same problem I mean that had missed some updates and I came to know about it after following your solution and checking it out and now the install/reboot process in order to get the v8 up-to-date have started well but then if I get stuck in between then I will let you know.

I have tried the same solution but then this is what I have found:

When I tried to Check for Updates results then I got this message "There are no updates available at this time. Please note that updates for the following products cannot be determined at this time: Adobe Updater"

Later when I downloaded all the updates from the download centre in the respected manner 8.1.0 > 8.1.7 > 8.2.0> 8.2.6> 8.3.0> 8.3.1 then I got this message “"The upgrade patch cannot be installed by the Windows Installer service because the program to be upgraded may be missing, or the upgrade patch may update a different version of the program. Verify that the program to be upgraded exists on your computer and that you have the correct upgrade patch."

I don’t know why I am getting the same message. Have I missed anything?

I think that you can try out the 2 little installs for 8.0 and as far as I remember the will be available on the adobe site itself I mean that there are possibilities that even they might be required but then if it is not helping you out then you can also try out the a repair for the AA8 installation and then check the version that you are having and then try to get the updates for them.

I have tried installing the 2 little installs for 8.0 from the adobe site which you have specified but then I don’t think that they are actually required because I don’t think that they are making any difference and I just wanted to know that what you mean by checking the version?
    I have tried installing the 2 little installs for 8.0 from the adobe site which you have specified but then I don’t think that they are actually required because I don’t think that they are making any difference and I just wanted to know that what you mean by checking the version?