Thread: What is the function of "Scroll Lock" button?

What is the function of "Scroll Lock" button?

You may find this as a noob question but I really do not know that what is the function of the "Scroll Lock" button in the keyboard? I do not find any changes to the functioning of the keyboard if I press the scroll button. So I just want to know that what is the functioning of the "Scroll Lock" button. I will really happy to have answer from you people.

Re: What is the function of "Scroll Lock" button?

I would like to tell you that the scroll lock button is the key which is having the related light button on the keyboard. The actual function of this button is that when it is turned on then that will pause the text scrolling down the screen unless and until that is turn off again. But this will only function with the software that is having support for this. It was very useful in the days of character interfaces but with the GUI, this is almost useless.

The computer keyboard has, traditionally, three keys of a type that could classify as a lock, caps lock, num lock and scroll lock (before and came on all keyboards, now in the Spanish come as UPPER lock, num lock and / or scroll lock). Surely all the world will know the value of the Caps lock and num lock: the first is to change the script from lowercase to uppercase and the second to activate the keypad on the right. But what good is the Scroll Lock key. Born in the keyboards of old computers from IBM, and when activated allowed to move the entire window. It was like we do with the scroll wheel mouse, but that did not previously exist as a mouse button was activated scroll lock option and press the arrow keys move the window. It was very useful in text editing programs in systems such as MS-DOS or UNIX / Linux in terminal mode.

Scroll Lock is still from the old times. If it is on and you scroll, the cursor remained (the blinking part in word, if what you type) where it was because if you had disabled it then it then nit will went. But it looks like there is no longer what program supports this function.

You can try this with MS Excel to move the cursor. I think that this will have some effect over there.

I think that fact would serve to block scrolling, i.e. when it was a listing on screen, if the listing was not in a page, it continued to flow and stopped only at the bottom. To remedy this, either by pressing the scroll button stopped and restarted (at least I think we could be). Even though, I think the situation was critical because the scroll was already fast enough to prevent the direct reading and so it was also problematic in the right places to stop and restart.

I found this only working with Excel. If you want then open excel and click on any shell. now go down with the help of arrow (once scroll lock on and once scroll lock off) and you will get the difference.