Thread: MS Word 2007 program lag

emknaps Guest

MS Word 2007 program lag

Hi Everyone,

Apologies if this is the wrong place for the thread, this is my first post and I am frustrated by this problem.

MS Word 2007 occasionally has a massive retardation within itself in the form of lag. I have been researching around and trying to get to cusp of the problem for a while now but all solutions I have experimented with do solve my issue.

Basically, every once in a while with a document I am using, Word will become really slow with regard to all functions, typing, highlighting, cutting, pasting etc etc.. Generally after saving and re-opening.

Other posts discuss, the review tab as the issue, add-ins, pc performance and I can unequivocally say it is none of this issues.

The documents being used are normally either created from a template and/or worked on directly from our server (templates on server also) I have also tried saving to my system and working from there, again to no avail.

Opening a new blank doc and transferring the data occasionally works however I don't feel this is a productive fix to the issue.

The only thread I have found which provide a slightly more logical insight into the problem has been present on cnet site:

The discussion about parts of the file originally being in word 2003 format and saving as .docx intrigued me specifically since the original templates were created in word 2003 and I usually end up saving in 2007. Low and behold if I resave the document as a 1997-2003 (.doc) format file the problem dissipates.

So whilst I appear to have solved my problem, the issue is I can't go through our server and update every template and as further computers upgrade to word 2007 or 2010 the problem will become more widespread. Meaning it would be futile if not pointless to upgrade word, if the docs have to be saved in 1997-2003 format every time.

Therefore, I am wondering if anyone has an idea on how to fix the problem as a whole, so when a template or doc, initially created in word 2003, which is then saved as word 2007 or above will not have the issue? The thread link discusses the potential for the image (which is in all our templates) in the header and footer causing the issue, would there be a way of fixing this without having to recreate the templates?

Thank you in advance

Re: MS Word 2007 program lag

The most simple reason behind this I can give you is of Windows update. My users access office documents from a Windows Server. When the server runs updates the entire application freezes. The lagging issue is also because of that. Check that your office application is not downloading and running updates. Disable them for sometime. Second thing re-install if necessary.