Thread: Will fedora 15/gnome 3 work on VMware workstation 8

Will fedora 15/gnome 3 work on VMware workstation 8

Gnome 3 does not work in Workstation 7.1, due to the be deficient in 3D support. Now works on the workstation 8? If you bring in, you purposely desire to be acquainted with about Windows 7 x64, Fedora 15 Guest host 64-bit clients.

Re: Will fedora 15/gnome 3 work on VMware workstation 8

If someone is 8 years and only have 15 to 30 minutes to install Fedora 15 w / Gnome (default FedoraProject.org download) and see if it works or if Gnome is started in standby mode .

I do not want to spend the $ 95 to upgrade 7.1 to 8 if it is not going to fix what I want that 7.1 do not give me.

It would be much faster to download 500 MB workstation 8 and the use of 30 days to test it and test the features of yourself than for someone else to download a 3.4 GB disk operating system installation.

I have a 7.1 installation working very well and in use right now. And I do not have another computer available for testing at or me. But do not want to risk a hose to my current platform upgrade, determining the age of 8 does not work, and try to downgrade back to 7.1.

I was kind of hoping that VMware will step forward. Any of the State's commitment to support Fedora 15/Gnome 3 guest (and 30 minutes for this,) or the state that is not attuned (and I'll keep my money and by means of VirtualBox, which is recognized to work).

Should I try to install a guest WS8 running on 7.1, then install fedora 15. Ultimately, I do not think it will work because the physical host is not providing 3D support, even if the guest virtual machine running on it.

I imagine the fedora 15 Install Live would be an option much lesser than 3.4GB could still be used to reply the query.

I could not get the live CD F15 or F16-Alpha install on the workstation 8 to work with the "Standard experience" of Gnome 3. Both went to standby mode. I’m running on a VMware server F14.

That seems a likely indication that it will not work on a host Windows 7, but either way it certainly is not conclusive.I wish someone with a machine running Windows 7 WorkStation 8 could try this and report on it.

I just installed Fedora on VMware Fusion and tell me there is no 3D support for Gnome 3 and goes to standby mode. I have the 3D acceleration enabled in the VMware settings for this guest.

I am not familiar with fusion much. Can anyone provide me some description about fusion and how to use? That is not the same as VMware Workstation, however, is not it? So there is still hope for me that might work under Workstation 8?

No, I do not think GNOME Ubuntu 11.04 3 will work

Fusion is the Macintosh version of the workstation / player. so while not exactly the same, the virtual machine monitor device drivers are very similar across product families. Especially this last cycle of product launch since the merger 4 and 8 workstations beta’s during the same period and released the same day.

However, as the previous report that does not work on a Fedora server, saying it does not work on a Mac server is still not a conclusive indication of whether a host is working on Windows 7, So the question remains, but my hopes of regulation .

I try contacting VMware support team but they don’t have time to reply me. It’s been 24 hrs since I have submitted ticket for these issues. I like to thank everyone who tried to help me to overcome this issue. Just waiting for support team to reply me. If I get any response from them than I will reply here.