Thread: Citrix vs. VMware View 5.0

Citrix vs. VMware View 5.0

I was at VMworld and attend some session on vSphere 5.I did one on View 5.0 and it appears there have been improvement moreover View 4.5.I am having a gathering tomorrow with some managers on desktop virtualization. From what I comprehend, their organization may be using Citrix for desktop virtualization. In view of the fact that I am recognizable with VMware, I would like to go away the VMware route. anything that honored of using View 5.0 over Citrix? Not convinced if it is Xendesktop 4 or 5.

Re: Citrix vs. VMware View 5.0

If you are an associate of VMware, you can have aggressive evaluation from the associate portal; else you can get it from your local VMware rep.

Some docs are also obtainable for end user; attempt to discover them with Google. Intended for the Admin side, the Xendesktop setup is a little more complicated. With View 5 the WAN optimization and also the 3D support gaps are filled. So features are almost comparable. For the user side, this could be the authentic large differentiation. For the reason that it isn't purpose, you be required to carry out a PoC to observe with product could be better by testing the required applications.

Of course, for simple or standard environment this is not necessary. But for a customer, just to make an example, the speed of open the menu of a legacy application was the majority significant aspect and the reason of why View was choose.

I have deployed both Xendesktop and View, and I must utter I have a reduced amount of headaches with Xendesktop in general. area I would take think about to evaluate are:
    • Bandwidth consumed over a WAN with each protocol
    • Performance of each protocol for the end user

Do WAN accelerators need to be used? PCoIP can't be accelerated in this way. Work out how apps are going to be delivered, to have XenApp to fill in the gap between virtualized apps and apps installed as part of the image is a big advantage. System alerting and reporting

Was your deployment with view 5.0 and Xendesktop 5?

View 4.5/4.6 - View 5.0 hasn’t been released yet, and the bug with View Composer misalignments and the profile management are noteworthy improvement. Done numerous Xendesktop deployments from 2.0 until 4.0 with a sneak preview of Xendesktop 5.0

I was doing some digging on view 5 and it indicates it is easier to deploy and manage than Xendesktop and offers 75% reduction in network bandwidth .Also Does XenDesktop offer the following (which view does)?
    • No AD schema extensions
    • Agent-less application virtualization solution
    • Online - Offline Desktop Mgt

Yes those advantages are true. I'm not sure about the integration with Xenclient and Xen Desktop; if it doesn't already exist it will soon.

ThinApp is a great app-virtualization tool in my opinion. Very simple and fast. With Xendesktop, if you don’t get your profiles right, application launch times can be slower.