Thread: After installing Office 2011 how do i uninstall office 2008 for mac

After installing Office 2011 how do i uninstall office 2008 for mac

I am using a Macbook as my operating system and i have currently switched to Office 2011 as i was using office 2008 previously and which is not used by me any more so i want to uninstall it but i have heard that it does not get uninstalled completely by the normal uninstalling method.I don't have any other idea about doing the installation in different way.Is there any one having a knowledge about it and can help me to sort out this as well.Any help regarding this will be highly appreciated.

Re: After installing Office 2011 how do i uninstall office 2008 for mac

Here is a short description for a clean uninstall of office 2008.
    • Quit all applications
    • Use "Remove Office" Tool
    • Remove Office Preferences
    • Remove Microsoft Folder
    • Remove Receipts
    • Move the Microsoft User Data folder to Desktop
    • Remove Office icons from the Dock

In order to quit all the application from your Mac in order to start the uninstalling process just go to the toolbar at the top and select the running program and then select the quit option but in case if you don't have an idea about how to do it then just try to hold the command and the option keys and just press the Esc button from your keyboard and then select the same program in the "Force Quit Application" window and go for a Force Quit you can do the same for every application that you are running.

You can remove the office tool by following this.Just go in to the finder and then select your computer by clicking on "GO" and then open the Macintosh HD followed by the Applications folder and then Open the "Microsoft Office 2008" folder followed by the "Additional Tools" folder and then just open the "Remove Office file"and you will get a "Remove Office" window after you get this window just click on Continue and it will take a few seconds to find out the all the version of office on your computer so Continue and just Select the "Microsoft Office 2008" which you are willing to uninstall and then click Continue and you are done with removing the office tool.

For removing the preferences you have to go in to the Finder>click Go>click Home and then open the Library folder and then open the "Preferences folder" in it and then click View ans select a List view in ht finder after this Select the Microsoft folder and then just drag it and drop it to the recycle bin and then search for all the files naming "com.Microsoft" there might be approximately 10 files just put this files to the recycle bin or trash as well an then go in to the trash and just click on the empty trash icon.After doing this you will surely remove all the Office Preferences from your computer.

You can remove the Microsoft Folder by following this.What all you have to do is go on the finder then click on Go and then click on the Home and then Open the "Library folder" and then open the 'Application Support folder" in it an then select the Microsoft folder and drag it and drop it to Trash and then clear it from the trash as well.Performing this will completely remove your Microsoft Folder from you computer.

In order to remove the Receipts you have to perform the same method.Just go in on the Finder menu and then select your computer and Open your hard drive which would be probably having the name "Macintosh HD" and then proceed opening the Library folder and then the Receipts folder and then search for all the files having their name starting with "Office2008_en" to my knowledge you will get a long list of these files which you again have to select and drag and drop it to the trash.

Microsoft User Data folder is to store all of your User information as well as the Entourage database.In order to remove this you have to go on the finder and then click on go and then click on the Documents and then select "Microsoft User Data folder" and just drag it and drop it on your desktop and please keep in mind you have to drop it on the desktop not in you trash because if you move it to the trash then you will lose all your emails,calendars etc but in case you don't need it then you can surely move it to the trash.

And if you want to to remove the Office icon which are likely to be located on the Dock then just click on the option and then click on remove dock or you can just use the basic formula of dragging it and dropping the same to your trash and you can perform the same for all the office icons if you wish to do so.if you perform all of the solution's above you will remove your office 2008 completely from your computer and you wont find any thing related to it again but make sure you perform all the task which is required.