Thread: VMware fusion future vs. parallels desktop 6

VMware fusion future vs. parallels desktop 6

With Parallels Desktop 6 next few days there will be new version out, will VMware also try to release new version of VMware fusion. To compete with each other.

Re: VMware fusion future vs. parallels desktop 6

Company has a policy of not commenting on future versions or releases. That causes all sorts of accounting issues / legal. And for the other issues that are sure to follow. Each vendor leapfrogs the other, and then the first one does the same. Both products are pretty good (I would say that the merger is excellent), but based on a fundamentally different architecture, and target users a little different.

I would be interested in knowing what the user is different from being objective. I was a user of the merger for a long time since the early days, until I switched to Parallels because of performance issues of the merger. This was many months ago, and I see that VMware has solved this problem or actually moves as long as the newer versions. I am very happy with Parallels - is as stable as the merger, in my experience, while it is significantly faster and smoother, with enhanced integration and more intuitive and customizable on the host operating system.

I think the merger is falling behind in terms of development Parallels. This is understandable - VMware is a much bigger with more areas of interest, and fusion is a relatively minor side line. For developers of Parallels, Parallels also called, Parallels is the largest and most important area of development.

I also like to know which application most users new to the idea of running Windows and Mac OS together have decided in the last six months. The conclusion is that if Parallels is getting most of new sales, then the future of the merger is in danger. I could see VMware pull the plug on it and move all the developers of other projects, if not to make money and change of game-would cost much in terms of development.

For me, the parallels are more focused on consumers and VMware more professional use. Tight integration with the host (the unit, for example) is much greater for the former than the latter, so the game is on. The stability and the sandbox are more important for the latter. Performance is a trouble for them.

I've used both and I think I like the Parallels do a great job, creating the appearance of Windows program like a MAC, which is nice, but I realized that much less sense of fusion. Calling the end of the lifecycle 2.x/3.0 there was a period of time last year that the merger to be too unstable to use, but once the updated program was turned and no regrets.

In my use, I use Windows for a very specific purpose and once I did, the virtual machine shuts down and I go to Mac world. I think anyone looking at each of these two products should try both and choose the one that meet your opportunity of how a virtual environment that works for me. I know that I have no desire to try Parallels 6 unless the merger becomes so unstable that it is unusable.

Suspect and this is based on any inside information, that we may be able to read something along the lines of injury time. Until the end of the year. I doubt we will see fourth version of VMware fusion.

As a developer, I can say that this is a problem in the software industry in general, particularly with the mind-numbing knowledge of going from side to side script level 1 and 2 support teams. In general, volunteer experts at this point can cut through that noise. For other troubles that necessitate inside knowledge, which shows the differences in the offers on the market today.

You're right, of course .There is a need ESX "light" for those who do not have $ 60,000 for virtualization, but are moving that way .There is a huge gap flanked by Parallels Desktop / VMware and Fusion at least that's what I imagine is the trouble. I’m willing to live in a vacuum if I can get reasonable support.

If Parallels desktop 6 is the future of the merger, we are all scrammed. I just tried, and will not open a virtual machine in any way. Many people with the same unsolved difficulty, the Parallels desktop driver just will not start on some machines. The only help support Parallels Desktop is a system of incomprehensible KB and an e-mail does not respond. It took overnight to convert a file to a VMware to Parallels Desktop (40gigs) and then the VM cannot be opened due to the lack of a driver. What a waste of time. So again.

Something else must be in contact with the original files from me then - I'll play with it when I have the opportunity. I have only one virtual machine with pictures (I miss many other features, such as reducing, to do all of them).

I'm not surprised. I have opinion that there is ample room for improvement in the merger. The fact that competitors have tried (most of Parallels and VirtualBox) are even more spectacular are not ready for prime time is the main reason I stay with it. Although I am learning what it can and usually cannot get away with each new version. VMware Fusion New version 4 will be interesting.