Thread: The connection was unsuccessful for the USB device "###"-Driver erroR

The connection was unsuccessful for the USB device "###"-Driver erroR

I am using a vm having windows xp and windows 7 and my problem is that whenever i am trying to connect any "USB flash drives" or "USB web cams" or even "USB network adapter" in my machine i am getting a error saying that the "connection for usb device was unsuccessful". I don't know what suddenly went wrong with it as it was working fine by now but i doubt it because my machine is used by several people and someone have might some something wrong but know is there any one who can help me out to solve this error,Any help regarding this will be highly appreciated.

Re: The connection was unsuccessful for the USB device "###"-Driver erroR

As far as my knowledge this kind of error occur because the removable disks are some time still used by some applications and this is probably one of the main reason for such problem as well.What all you can do is just.Windows 7 is been probably facing such kind of error with the usb i hope checked to solved it by rebooting as some common problems like this are solved after rebooting.

Even i was facing the same usb problem quite a few days ago and even i tried out many possible way to solve this out but nothing seemed to have worked with me in that case until i has switched to usb 2.0 rather than using my previous usb 3.0,it appears as if usb 3.0 is not well supported by windows xp and after switching to usb 2.0 i have solved the same issue without any difficulties.you can probably check it as well if you have the same problem like mine.

I am using a VM Workstation 7.1.4 and had experienced the same problem just a few months back even i was very tired of finding out that what is going wrong and why the hell my VM Workstation 7.1.4 and Ubuntu Natty are not able to detect my usb device.Even i tried every possible way that i could have and finally i removed it out of the HP EliteBook 8560w SS - USB slot and used a standard USB slot and luckily it worked doing that and my problem was solved.If you want you can try this out hope this solution solves your problem to.Best of luck.

I hope that you are using a original Microsoft USB drivers and if yes than you can just try this solution.Just do a Right click on your "my Computer" and then just click on "Manage" you will now see a Computer Management window at the left side and when you get this window select device manager and just expand the "Universal Serial Bus Controllers" and after than Right click on your "USB Root Hub" and go to the properties and than On the Driver tab just click on Roll Back Driver.You also have to check it out that you are using any conflicting USB services such as sniffers on your host and in case you have AMD processor conflicting USB controller might be the issue so you have to remove the "AMD USB Filter Drive"r from your windows.

In order to remove conflicting USB controller problem from your computer just follow the following solution
    • Right-click (My) Computer and click Manage.
    • In the left pane of the Computer Management window, click Device Manager.
    • Expand Universal Serial Bus Controllers.
    • Locate the AMD USB Filter Driver.
    • Right-click it and choose Uninstall.
    • Click Uninstall the driver software for the device.
    • Restart your computer.

And so as to manually remove the AMD USB controller from your computer you can go with the following solution:
    • Open the Windows registry, by clicking Start > Run and typing regedit.
    • Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{36FC9E60-C465-11CF-8056-444553540000} .
    • In the right hand panel, if the the UpperFilters entry exists, delete it.
    • Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\ .
    • Delete the usbfilter string.
    • Close the Registry
    • Delete this file: %system32%\drivers\usbfilter.sys.
    • Reboot your computer.

There is also a another way of removing or uninstalling the AND USB controller you can just perform these steps
    • Open Control Panel.
    • Open Add/Remove Programs (XP) or Programs and Features (Vista/7).
    • Double-click ATI Catalyst Install Manager or click Change.
    • Select Uninstall Manager.
    • Choose a Custom.
    • Select the AMD USB controller as the component to uninstall.
    • Reboot if prompted.

Probably such type of error when certain USB monitors(sniffers) are found during testing and which result in some undesirable effects and some time it even crash the host so in order to detect which driver is causing the failure Run dbgview if you have it or just download it and check that By default the Capture > Capture Kernel is checked and enabled and then let your machine give you the "USB controller initialization failed" problem and now the DebugView will print a line indicating the driver which is creating the problem so you can reinstall that driver and install it again and check if it works

If You want you can also disable the check for the usb monitors by modifying your registry.What you have to do is just Shut down your Workstation and then Open the registry from Start > Run > regedit and then Browse to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\hcmon\" after that just Create a fresh key naming "Parameters" and then in "Parameters" again create a fresh DWORD value entry nameing "DisableDriverCheck" and its value to 1. but if all of thes still doesnt help you than you can contact vmware technical support.