Thread: MS word 2003 files open as read only in MS word 2010

MS word 2003 files open as read only in MS word 2010

Hey friends, recently I have upgraded my MS office 2007 with MS office 2010. It working fine and the new features, which it includes, is so good comparing with the MS office 2007. But I am facing some problem while opening word 2003 files with word 2010 (recently upgraded from 2007). I am not able to save them, all existing files are opening as the read only files. And even I am not able to save the .docx files. so, if you have any solution about this topic then report me back.

Re: MS word 2003 files open as read only in MS word 2010

If your word 2003 files are opening in the word 2010 as read only then I will suggest you to create and save your files using the Clean-boot to verify if any non-Microsoft application / service, I am saying that because it might happens that any services are conflicting with Word or not. After enabling the clean boot you will able to open the word 2003 files in the word 2010 and also you can modify that. So I will suggest you to try with this thing and after this report me back.

Hey friend, thanks for your reply, but I don’t have any idea to how to enable the clear boot utility. If you can suggest me to enable the clear boot utility, then please report me.

Ok, I will suggest you steps for enabling that but before that let me tell you that make sure that your computer is not connected with the network. I am telling this thing because network policy settings may prevent you from following these steps. The steps are given as follows:
    First you will need to log on with the administrator account.
    After this click on the start and then type msconfig.exe in the search box.
    After that it will ask you for the administrator password, enter that password and click continue. After that clear boot will be enable.

Fine, but let tell me that from where are you opening your files? I would like to know that are you opening your files from the CD or they were copied to the CD? And then you copy that files on the hard drive, if you are doing so, then while copying the files from the CD to the hard drive, Read Only attribute of the files will have been set. The one way is that you can uncheck its attributes by selecting the files. Right click on the files and then select the properties and uncheck the Read Only attribute.
    Hope this suggestion will help you. What are the result of this suggestion please report me back.

If your word 2010 is, opening files of word 2003 as read only then tell me that what about the files which you are creating using the word 2010? For this try to create the docx file now, after this save it and then close it. And after sometimes go to the location where you have saved that file and then open it and see what is happening? Does this is working fine or it also opening as read only? Tell me about this first.

I am also satisfied with Badrunath and i will suggest you to try to enable the clean boot to verify if any non-Microsoft application is conflicting your word documents. For this you have the steps to how to enable the Clean-boot and after this save and create Word document in this mode.

That thing is also happening to me, while I have tried to making the new file using the word 2010, and this is opening fine and no problem with this. I have some files, which are not copied to the new computer, and these files are still there in my external hard drive. In addition, while trying to open the files in the computer I am facing the read only error. In addition, I am facing this read only error while saving the files as .doc and .docx. and when I tried to change their attributes in the property I found that they are not identified as read-only. I want to know that why while opening that files on my computer I am facing this problem as read only. Basically while opening the same files on the other computer is fine but this error is coming only in my case. This is the computer at my work, so it makes it really hard to get anything done. Please help me.

To me this is appearing as the glitch in MS office 2010. In my cause all my docx /MS Word documents are created as normal files. I don’t know that why but while saving the files, it automatically converts as the read only files. Unfortunately, none of the answers here address the problem. I am also trying with saving the same documents with the multiple versions to gain some access to editing capability are not a good solution. This thing is time wasting, and also this not seems to be a way to change the Read-Only status in properties.

Hey if you are facing the read only error while opening the files using word 2010, then I will recommend you to do the steps as:
    Open your word 2003 file in the word 2010 and then try to edit them. After this you can save them and while saving there are option to save as compatible with the word 2010 and 2003. Use this option to save the file and I am sure that this will help you in your read- only error.