Thread: password policy for office 365

password policy for office 365

I have just ordered an Microsoft office 365 product as these are great in boom and I cannot afford my company to lag behind in the areas with the use of latest technology available,so the reason that I am posting this thread here was my concern about the password policy that us been set by Microsoft office 365 as that would be on which my office online security would be after all supported, So please let me know about the password policy that has been set there.

Re: password policy for office 365

The policy that the Microsoft office has set up is for the Microsoft online services Identities or practically speaking it is about the cloud ID, this is also has some additional support the for the new issues that were there, I don ‘t think that should stop you from using , I would strongly recommend you to use this as this product of Microsoft office as this provides the best priority to use this on password expiry and also the strength of the password varies greatly .

You are absolutely right , there is been a new policy that is been made for the Microsoft office 365 depending on the type of product you are using the password policy varies very greatly there , Basically it divided in to two types namely the Microsoft online services Cloud ID and the other one includes the Federated id that is used with the Coparate Ad credential s to login to their office 365 services and the id are stored In the ON- premise Ad .

Most of the policy constraints are same or normal like we say , by normal we mean that the password should at least be 8 character long and maximum of 16 character , there should be only character and number allowed and no Unicode should be allowed inside it . There should be a combination of the any one special character like @#$%% included In that so as to make that one difficult to guess , so I think you need not worry about the new policy as this is not going to change a lot or matter to you very much.

Hey , I am aware about that policy before and I never meant to have that here ,as they form the basis of any password setting policy ,I just wanted to know , or specifically speaking I wanted to know what the about the new features that have been added to it like the password expiry and the password expiry duration, and I would also like to know if there a feature called account log out and if that one is present in this and what the actual use of that .

Yes , you have heard that right , and I guess you are the only one that is worried about that one , there are many user who are actually not even found the features that the new policy provides there are many things that come up here Password expiry feature that you just asked above is the is not configurable and is set with an timer do 90 days after that the password is automatically changed and then a new one is entered in to the system. By default this one is set to enable with means that the user would have to change their password again. BUT the administrator can always change that to a through the power shell client that is been present there.

Along with the password strength this also provides with a policy that is named as the password strength that is uses an sophisticated algorithm for checking that with other rules that are been set there And a unique feature that Microsoft has for the first time provided was the Account lockout which means that after 10 unsuccessful logon account the page would automate a CAPTCHA dialog and this would increase with the increase in the number of wrong attempt.