Thread: Fix for UPNP module bug in VLC player

Fix for UPNP module bug in VLC player

Hi I have a very awful problem as I couldn't get UPNP browsing to work on one PC, while I try to work the same on another it was works fine. After debugging I discover that it will not work if you have the UPNP module enable, but I think this is the one that loads when we start the player, isn’t it? Or we have to manually configure this module, please help me with this, as I am not getting the things clearly.

re: Fix for UPNP module bug in VLC player

Yeah I was also think the same as the VLC should provide support for the UPnP in fact I have also tried too much to get it solved but didn’t got the proper solution Unfortunately UPnP seems to be broken, but I think this problem is in the previous version only, not in the newer version, I am not sure about that but you can try to download the latest version from the internet and then check whether the same problem happens or not.

This is the basic problem in the 1.1.2 version, and you just need to download the UPNP module, and there is no separate download. You can discover it in the play list itself, and then download the module for the player then you’ll not encounter the same problem in the player. But make sure that you have the same version that I have mentioned because in VLC 1.1.9 UPnP option isn't listed beneath Services discovery.

While VLC player is accumulated with UPNP support, though you will still require to allow UPNP service discovery, and for that you can make use of either the command line or from the play list menu, for doing the same from the command line type this “$ vlc --services-discovery upnp_intel “ and if you want to do the same on play list menu you’ll get it from File/Service discovery/UPNP and then you can see that UPNP servers will be listed on the play list.

There is patch available on the internet that you can download to your system and through which you can simply avoid the UPNP module issue in the VLC player, but as far as I know there is no such issue in the newer version, so before searching the internet for any such patch, I would like to recommend you that you should download the latest version and see whether this is happening or not.

Re: Fix for UPNP module bug in VLC player

I have also heard about the GTK patch for VLC to sustain for UPnP AV Media Server, using this patch you can play the movie content easily through the player. And in that there is separate setting that you have to made for doing this, you can download the same from the internet, you just need to search the name as I have mentioned in the internet and you’ll get it listed, and then download it.